Thread: Midwest Wood comes to the East

Midwest Wood comes to the East

I was working at the computer just a while ago..........I hear the mail truck puttering up an stopping and the horn blew..............went outside, and the little mail lady said......"This one is heavy."

I took the mail in the house, and opened the box, which was from Doug Herzberg............he had sent me a PM and said he was making a trip to Iowa, and wanted to know if I like Osage orange, and if I had any on hand. Well, his most generous gift arrived this afternoon....................

Thank You, Doug!!!

IMGP3217.jpgIMGP3218.jpgIMGP3219.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

A little early Christmas there, Roger!! I bet you do something nice with that stuff. Good on Doug!

NICE! I have never turned it, I don't even know that I have ever seen any in person. It intrigues me though.

Funny how the mail truck can fill you with anticipation!
    Last edited by Jon McElwain; 12-16-2011 at 4:30 PM.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    NICE! I have never turned it, I don't even know that I have ever seen any in person. I intrigues me though.

Funny how the mail truck can fill you with anticipation!
    Jon,

Doug is in your neck of the woods.......Colorado Springs...........Maybe you two could have a "creeker visit" sometime......I know that Doug is waiting to receive his new lathe..........a Grizzly Green Monster G0698..............should be a fun time, if you could work it out!

Glad it got there safe, Roger. There's a bowl blank in a separate box, even heavier, so you may want to warn the mail carrier.

Ft. Collins is pretty close and I have some extra of this wood if you'd like to try it out, Jon. I even have a friend with a daughter in school at CSU if we can't work out a rendezvoux.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Jon,

Doug is in your neck of the woods.......Colorado Springs...........Maybe you two could have a "creeker visit" sometime......I know that Doug is waiting to receive his new lathe..........a Grizzly Green Monster G0698..............should be a fun time, if you could work it out!

Roger, thanks for the heads up!

Doug, that is a real generous offer! Wouldn't you know it, we have a CSU gal from the Springs staying with us currently. I have only been down your direction a couple of times, but I would love to work something out if circumstance permits. I bet I could even round up some local burl wood...
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Doug............looks like you started something good here..............a great gesture on your part.........I do thank you, and hope that you and Jon can get together and make some curlees fly! Make sure to post pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    Roger, thanks for the heads up!

Doug, that is a real generous offer! Wouldn't you know it, we have a CSU gal from the Springs staying with us currently. I have only been down your direction a couple of times, but I would love to work something out if circumstance permits. I bet I could even round up some local burl wood...
    Sounds great. If you find yourself planning a trip this way, send me a PM. I'll do the same if I go north. We're in Denver a lot and occasionally drive to Casper, right by Ft. Collins. I'd love to turn a chunk of burl, but I'm so new at this I'd be afraid of messing it up until I practice a little more. I have a beetle kill Ponderosa pine tree set aside for that purpose as soon as the lathe gets here. Assume you have a source for that if you want it, but if not, there's plenty to share.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Doug............looks like you started something good here..............a great gesture on your part.........I do thank you, and hope that you and Jon can get together and make some curlees fly! Make sure to post pics!
    Roger, any pics of my shop would get me in trouble big time with JK. I'm building my version of a Klausz bench and have all the parts laid out on my work table, so everything is piled on top of the table saws, RAS, planer and every other horizontal surface. Meanwhile, my new bandsaw is yet to be connected to DC and the old bandsaw sits in the middle of the room. The tube lathe is covered in shavings such that I can't find my turning tools. And I'm insulating the ceiling, so there are bags of insulation just sitting around waiting. And, oh yeah, an entire osage orange tree piled up in chunks just inside the door, minus a couple blanks now in Virginia. I guess we could just close the door and take the picture outside to prove the visit happened.

10. Sounds like a plan to me Doug! Hope you guys do get to get a visit and a turning session together.........hey, that Grizzly Green Monster would make for a nice backdrop if you could pull it off!

Good stuff! Congrats on the OO, Roger! I like turning that stuff, and it finishes beautifully! Good on Doug for sharing his riches, too.

I never cease to marvel at the generosity of the brotherhood. There are good people here. Nice, Santa Doug.
    faust

Congrats on the wood Roger! I look forward to seeing what you create out of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

14. Well, the second box arrived today............a large flat rate box with a blank of Osage orange suited for a bowl, and a hexagon shaped long spindle blank...............thanks again Doug............I will let them dry some in the shop for a while, then see what kind of mischief I can get into!