Thread: Dust collector filter question

Dust collector filter question

I've ot a couple of Delta AP400 dust collectors. Out of the box it uses filter bags. I can buy the delta filter for this model and it says it filters down to 2 microns. The Wynn filters look like that work down to .5 microns and appear to be a little cheaper.

two questions

1. The delta model looks like it has the "beater" handle for knocking dust off the inside of the filter. It doesn't look like the Wynn has that, is that not needed or is it something you do "manually"?

2. Anyone know the exact Wynn model for the ap400? Looks like it might be the 35a...

I am assuming that this is a no-brainer upgrade decision. Are there better solutions? I'm already planning on Thien baffles, still considering whether to go before the impeller to get additional protection or inside the housing to make the solution more compact.

Also, is to a good idea to replace the bottom bag with something non-porous after adding the filter?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 12-17-2011 at 9:03 PM. Reason: typo

You do need to get the dust off the inside of the cartridge, quite often. A built-in beater is a good thing.

I bought a set of filters from Wynn at my last job. Ed told me to blow them out(Outside in) regularly. Also said a little cake on the inside would not impair airflow, and would improve filtration
    Mick

I spoke with Ed regarding his line of filters. His suggested to me that it's best to use your air compressor and blow the filters from the outside to dislodge the caked on dust.

I had an offshore pleated filter on my old DC unit. It started off letting some of the fine dust particles through. I was told that was normal as the filter had not yet been seasoned. But after about 2-3 months using the internal beater paddle, the filter started to allow plumes of dust out. I took it back under warranty and they told me it was because I had ripped the filter. It seems that a large particle had stuck onto the inside, and moving the beater tore the medium.

Now I have upgraded to a Clearvue with the wynn nano filters, I will only use compressed air to blow them out. That way there is no chance of damaging the $200 filters that I upgraded to.

I added felted bags from Highland Woodworking to my HF DC (top and bottom) with excellent results. Check 'em out. I just pull them occasionally, beat 'em or shake 'em to clean. I'd buy 'em again.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.