Thread: planer jumps out of gear

planer jumps out of gear

My Powermatic 15 planer, about 10 years old, will jump out of gear while planing. This burns the wood because the cutter head is still rotating. If I hold the knob in place the operation goes smoothly, but I only have 2 hands and no help. Any suggestions to keep the feed going?

I have a generic 15" planer, not a Powermatic, but I imagine that the gear box is similar. I have been into my gear box a few times and can tell you that there isn't a lot going on inside there. You've probably either got a bent/broken shifting fork or some worn gears. In either case, it probably won't be hard to diagnose or fix. I don't know how much the parts might cost but if your planer is Taiwanese, parts might be interchangeable with early Grizzly models.

My thoughts go to either wax the beds, or oil the bed rollers. Sounds like drive train is having to work too hard. If rollers are on ball bearings, then the bearings may need replacement.

Bruce is right; try those ideas first. Also, are the blades sharp? People report all kinds of weird problems with really dull blades.

charlie
    if the planer looks like the generec ones avalible from several sources it is most likley a detent gone [broken spring ].
    look on grizzlys web sight then 453 planer look at the picture near by you will see parts diagram PFD file click there go to the gear box breakdown part # 520 spring and #519 ball.
    just the spring is broken that ball and spring hold the gear in position if it planner that apears the same on the outside as this planer parts mostly enterchange i fixed a freinds powermatic [ not the same problem] but used grizzly parts
    and i agree with wat has been siad do those things first then see if the leaver that goes in /out feels as if there is no detent when you move it from hi to low there should be a defenate detent or [feeling it is locked in gear ]
    Last edited by lawrence dosson; 12-18-2011 at 8:04 PM. Reason: add