Hello All:
The time has come to refinish my 3 1/2' by 7' by 5/4 quarter sawn oak dining room table top. While I have it in the shop I'd like to to repair one of the joints in the glued up top. One of the glue joints is coming apart at one end. Not much, but just enough that you can see an issue in the finish. This board happens to be about 8" from the edge.
One obvious solution is to rip the whole joint apart and glue it up again. This seems fine but it would leave me with a large piece that is wider than what I can rip. So I would have one shot at getting the surfaces perfect. If I screw it up I'd have to run it across the jointer which would also be doable but tricky given the size.
So I'm open to other solutions? Maybe a thin kerf cut just into the part of the joint that has separated and then fill that with a thin piece? Use a small router bit to cut away a small (not through) kerf and replace that cut away with a piece of wood? Other options?
As I write this is seems to me that I really need to bite the bullet and deal with the whole joint. So maybe the question comes down to using jigs of some kind to help with handling a large and heavy panel. Or maybe I just cut one of the other joints too so that I have three pieces that would be easier to handle.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Cheers,
Jim