Thread: Turned Table Legs

Turned Table Legs

Hey all, I'm in the design phase for a mid sized kitchen/work table, I've been looking everywhere for some images relating to turned legs and just can't find anything good looking. Most of the ones I've found are too bulbous or overly chunky. I like something along the lines of the turnings in Shwarz's most recent table (attached at bottom). But this kitchen table won't have stretchers, and I'm not sure how to resolve the leg without that element. Any pictures would help if you have them. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I'm not sure how you can have slender legs without some type of stretcher and not have weak legs. Those legs would be a long lever to apply pressure to the joint at the table top.

I would tend to side with Jerome however...

This is a photo of one of the legs on my dining room table. It's 2-1/2" square at the top of the leg. The table is 177 years old and the leg to apron joints are still solid. The table was refinished but not disassembled or anything by my grandfather before I was born (I'm over 50) and it hasn't had anything done to it since then. I grew up eating at it and now we use it in my house. Maybe there's not so much to worry about for your table.

I'm going to use thicker legs, around 3 inches square, so I'm not overly concerned with the fragility of the legs. More what I mean is something like this...
    Attachment 216466 I think it's way to chunky specifically in the vase and bulb sections, but when I redraw it the proportions look wrong.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

You might look at www.tablelegs.com .

Thanks Jamie, that site was helpful. I have some better forms to work from now.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop