Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where Does The Money Go ???

Where Does The Money Go ???

When I post here and generate traffic, where does the money go ?I asked privately last week and received no response . Are there any safeguards in place here that prevent my investment here being used to generate traffic on other sites ?Thanks, I would sure like to know more on these two subjects.

i beleive it goes to the man who works hard to keep this forum up and running. there was a long thread on this awhile ago
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by rob durfos View Post
    When I post here and generate traffic, where does the money go ?I asked privately last week and received no response . Are there any safeguards in place here that prevent my investment here being used to generate traffic on other sites ?Thanks, I would sure like to know more on these two subjects.
    Well, posting doesn't result in any money changing hands (as far as I know). If anything, posting costs Keith (the man behind SMC) just a tiny bit, because he has to pay for his Internet connection, servers, software, professional services, etc.

Now, if you contribute money, that money goes to Keith. He uses it to pay for all those things I mentioned above, and whatever is left over provides some amount of profit (hopefully).

BTW, I thought the subject was funny. It reminds me of a question I've often asked my wife. She doesn't provide nearly as good an answer as I've provided for you above.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 12-19-2011 at 11:28 PM.

I hope it goes where ever it has been going the last few years that has enabled SMC to become my favorite forum. Any details beyond that I could care less about.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

SawmillCreek.org is wholly owned and operated by Northwind Associates, Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
    Keith Outten is the owner of Northwind Associates...and any money (which barely keeps this Forum alive) that is generated is his to utilize in anyway he feels is required to keep it up and running...just like any other buisiness.
    Your "investment" in SMC as a "member" is taking the time to provide information for all to use. Contributors who send the suggested $6.00 and advertisers who pay in hopes that members will buy their products help keep it free for you to use.
    The reason that you probably didn't get an answer from your PM...Keith is extremely busy with his real job...and frankly I don't think he needs to answer this question. Do you ask every store...online or otherwise...if there are any safeguards in how they spend the money they make from their hard work? I think you would get the same silence.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 12-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Hi Glenn, How much would it cost to buy back information I have provided ? I am really sorry to have asked these questions, and to have posted on SawmillCreek.org. The contact form person Jackie Outten has given me a choice of no answer or being designated unable to post. I am more than willing to pay to have my posts removed ,this money could then be used in any way Keith Outten feels is required. I realize that it is just business , and I am more than happy to "contribute " to this site .Thanks

My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    +1

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Rob, is english not your first language? I get the sense it isn't, and if it's not, that's OK, but it'll help people understand why the situation doesn't seem to make any sense.

I briefly browsed through your post history, and if anything, it appears you were given the benefit of the doubt having posted your own website without paying anything.

You may want to read the TOS about who owns the information on here once you post - and perhaps you should've when you registered. Unless you have blogs that i'm missing, I can't see anything you posted that you could construe as unduly benefitting the forum.

Are we on hidden camera?

I guess you could ask for a refund on the money you paid to be designated as a contributor? Oh wait, I see that you are not designated as a contributor. Never mind.

Rob, do you have the impression that you are owed something by posting here? that's not the way it works.. Any posts by anyone contribute to a collective knowledge base that any member can draw upon. Access to that collective knowledge base is the value you get by posting, or even not posting, here. What you contribute (posts) has no direct monetary value to you. However, what you can get from the forum is priceless. The knowledge that others have contributed, and the opportunity to find and ask those who know, how to do and fix things. To show our appreciation to Keith Outten for hosting such a nice well-mannered forum, some of us (Contributors) contribute annually in the hopes that Keith will be able to continue providing the forum.

It would be real nice if more of the Members would become Contributors for just $6 / yr to help Keith out. What a value!! If a dollar amount could be attached to the value I get from the forum each year, I'm sure it would dwarf my annual contribution.

It would be real nice if more of the Members would become Contributors for just $6 / yr to help Keith out. What a value!! If a dollar amount could be attached to the value I get from the forum each year, I'm sure it would dwarf my annual contribution.[/QUOTE]

+1

Rob,

Let me clarify my response to your message. I told you that I was not able to remove your posts but that I could set your account to guest if you were no longer interested in being a part of the forums. I also told you that you could contact Keith Outten about this if you had questions.

Jackie Outten

I plan on becoming a contributor in 2012. My understanding of the contribution is it is good for the calendar year. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me this would mean if I contribute $6 in January 2012 my contribution is good until December 31, 2012. If I contribute on December 1, 2012, the contribution is also good until December 31, 2012. Correct me if I'm wrong. If by "good for a calendar year" you really mean good for 365 days, or one year, then the wording is kind of confusing to simpletons like me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)