Thread: Coin display

Coin display

My family and I went to New Orleans for a long weekend not too long ago. We really enjoyed the D-Day museum and my kids picked up D-Day commemorative coins. They want me to build a display for them. The display needs to show both sides. Attached is a design I came up with their help.

Does anyone have any ideas for me on a good way to securely mount the coin in the central hole? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

neat idea

One thing that just came to me is you could make this display in two halves.
    cut two pieces like your profile here. Maybe double face tape them together to drill the hole then reseperate them.
    Then you could route a small rabbit one on each circle on the inner side.. just a small one. LIke 1/16 or 1/8 inch at most. Then reassember the two halves with the larger rabbited circle on the inside, so that you could insert the coin on edge and it would rest into the larger groove that is in the center. Make sense?
    You could do this rabbit withyour router. I would think anyways I never tried anyting this small before.

You could also do this with two different size forestner bits.. Drill the larger bit only part way through the two halves on the inside of each half. Then take the smaller bit and drill the hole all the way through on each side .

Understand what I am getting at?

Good Luck.

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Christophers idea is almost exactly what I was thinking except for a few minor differences. I think you'd probably want the ability to remove the coin easily in the future? Without taking a hammer or saw to a glued up assembly? If so, you could use some small decorative countersunk brass screws to hold the halves together, both for final assembly and for drilling the hole simultaneously. I also think you should go quite a bit smaller on the rabbet. I think a difference of 1/32 or even 1/64 would probably be enough to secure the coin and still avoid obsuring the edge of the coin. Note: Those sizes get doubled when converted to diameter differences from the main hole.
    Use the fence Luke

I think you should use a plastic storage disc to protect the coin. Drill a hole with a forstner bit to make the recess for the coin and storage disc.. Then, you should drill a 1/8" ish hole all the way through so you can poke the coin out from the back side.

Good luck!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.