Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next shaper question--starter set of cutters

For the guys with the Amana Profile Pro set, what diameter heads are you using? I called my local distributor and they have them in the 1 1/4" bore that I need, but they have two to choose from, 4" and 4 3/4" dia. I have a 5hp shaper, and it can handle most cutters that I have seen. There is a little bit of a price difference in the 2 cuttter heads. What are the advantages with the larger one, I know there will be more tip speed on the larger one, but enough to make any difference?

OK, I'm thinking about getting into the Amana system with the aluminum head and a couple of the multi-profile knives and the one that does a 45 degree V which would meet my needs for beveling pretty much anything I've ever done. And I'm thinking I'll get the rabbetting head Peter linked above assuming there's a rub collar that will work for it.

Someone PM'd me and offered a rail/stile set free for shipping costs so I'm taking him up on that.

And my friend selling me the shaper is going to throw in some extra cutters he has, but I'm not sure what yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    OK, I'm thinking about getting into the Amana system with the aluminum head and a couple of the multi-profile knives and the one that does a 45 degree V which would meet my needs for beveling pretty much anything I've ever done. And I'm thinking I'll get the rabbetting head Peter linked above assuming there's a rub collar that will work for it.

Someone PM'd me and offered a rail/stile set free for shipping costs so I'm taking him up on that.

And my friend selling me the shaper is going to throw in some extra cutters he has, but I'm not sure what yet.
    Matt, thats listed as a 100MM head, so a bearing should be easy. The insert knives are pretty standard too. I'm using Amana's bearing system on a 125MM garniga head. Basically you buy one bearing at around $50, then you have aluminum collars that slip over those which give you lots of size options. These work well for the profile pro set too should you want to do radius work with those. THey are mostly metric sizes but they also offer a few SAE collars too. Or you could just buy a regular 100MM bearing with 3/4" ID too. I know Weaver has those listed, others probably do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Henry View Post
    For the guys with the Amana Profile Pro set, what diameter heads are you using? I called my local distributor and they have them in the 1 1/4" bore that I need, but they have two to choose from, 4" and 4 3/4" dia. I have a 5hp shaper, and it can handle most cutters that I have seen. There is a little bit of a price difference in the 2 cutter heads. What are the advantages with the larger one, I know there will be more tip speed on the larger one, but enough to make any difference?
    Amana actually has 3 sizes, 88MM (3 1/2") which I have several of, and the two you listed. I've had good results with the 88MM heads for all edge shaping. I suppose if you wanted to be able to reach in deep to make a multi profile stacked molding using multiple cuts it might be helpful to have the larger size head, and I can think of no reason the smaller head would be preferable. I got mine as part of the multi profile starter sets, and thats the head they pair with those kits. Keep in mind that the depth of cut is limited by the thickness of the steel to just over 5/8" regardless of the heads diameter, so these sets don't handle every need. I have some 3/8" thick corrugated back knives that can take a monster cut. I've been using tools today.com, they are fairly local to me and carry the whole Amana line.

I see there have been many thoughts on cutter heads. I just have the CMT version of the Amana profile pro head with a 3/4" bore. (5 HP shaper) The rail and stile cutters for windows/ passage doors fit very well. Lots of options on cutters. I just wish it were a 3z instead of 2. As far as pattern cutting. I have an Amana cutter head with all the carbide inserts. Similar to the Byrd etc. Comes in different heights as well as bore dia. The bearings for it cost almost as much as the head. Good way to start out, I think. Obviously it is much easier and less expensive to replace the inserts. Best of luck.

In looking at the Amana catalog last night I noticed the 3/4 bore 68mm head has a warning about only using a couple specific cutters. Next up in their line-up is an 88mm 30mm bore head. CMT has one that is 3-1/8 with a 3/4 bore for about the same price.

I'm second guessing myself now--are these heads too big for a 1.5hp machine?

Plan B would be to stick to carbide cutters. Infinity has a 2" tall 2-5/8" diameter rabetting bit. I could get that and a few shapes to start with in the same price range. Long term that gets more expensive though.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-22-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Matt, I would expect that the 3 1/8" cutter will be fine for your machine.

The HSS cutters work far better than carbide for solid wood.

Regards, Rod.

Matt, resist the impulse to buy cutters before you get the machine home. clean it up, check for runout, use what comes with the machine and get a profile that you will use relatively cheap and work with the machine. You will get a feel for it's capabilities. You may find it does well up to a certain size or weight and then starts to vibrate or chatter a little. I have bought tooling because I'm excited about a new machine only to find out if I had waited I would have made a different decision. Dave

I don't know if the tip speed between the two is that great. Some thing that I would need to punch out on a calculator. Are you there Rod? I would take a look at the opening size options on your shaper. Some of the insert cutters may or may not fit below the surface if needed. I ran in to this issue with a larger insert head on my Delta 5 hp. I think i now just stay with 4" dia. for the most part. Good luck.

Hi Ron, I believe Matt's new machine would have an 8,000 RPM lower spindle speed which is perfect for his chosen cutterhead.

Regards, Rod.

According to the manual, the opening size is 5.25". And the spindle speeds are 7000 and 9000 rpm.

Hi Matt, then you should be fine with 9,000 RPM..............Regards, Rod.

Matt, I read the catalogue again closely, and the page with the aluminum heads has two foot notes on it. The first astrix indicates the 3/4" bore cutter comes with 1/2" bushings as well. The SECOND foot note is indicated by a + symbol and gives info about a different head that takes the 5.5MM system knives. I believe the 68MM head can use all the standard 40MM knives. CMT also sells a variety of 50MM knives which work in these heads as well, though it would be your judgement as to whether or not to take a cut that large with your shaper.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 12-22-2011 at 7:39 PM. Reason: bad info

I found the item numbers for the Amana 3/4" bore profile prohead on the tools today web site, here's a link to amazon that has the multi profile starter set with the 68MM head, 4MM thick knives, a hand full of basic profiles. Not sure why this isn't listed clearly on Amana's site? Tools today also lists another set, scs-1107 in the same bore, different set of cutters, but I can't find a picture of that?

http://www.amazon.com/Amana-SCS-1106.../dp/B000P4LWNA

Here is a page from the newest Amana catalogue I could find on line. Check out around page 150-152, they explain a bit about aluminum versus steel cutterheads, and they list model numbers for the 68MM profile pro head, which is apparently new.

http://www.amanatool.com/cat2003/Cat137_173.pdf
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 12-22-2011 at 7:27 PM.

Something you might also consider for getting your feet wet are a few of the 1/2" cutters from Grizzly. I know that common wisdom says that 1/2" cutters aren't good, but these little guys work great for round overs. You get two profiles on each cutter. Each cutter is around $20. They come very sharp and leave a great finish (in my experience). I wouldn't necessarily use a 1/2" cutter for big cuts where you'd get some chatter from the smaller spindle. For just shaving off corner though, they work great. If your shaper came with all the OEM hardware, you already have the spindle and bushings to run them.
    c2003 cutter.jpgc2004 cutter.jpg