Thread: Shop Tip

Shop Tip

I got tired of mis-placing my pencil everytime I go to mark or measure something especially at the table or miter saw and then having it get knocked off and breaking the point. Just no good place to put it down and out of harm's way...... and no..... I'm not wearing one of those aprons Already read the thread on that one

While in the borg the other night I was killing some time and ran up on some sticky magnetic tape strips about 1/4" wide or so. It was priced around $2 so I figured.... what the heck.... I'll get a roll and see what I can use it for, one of those staple items that looked nice to have on hand.

When I got home and was putting away my find out in the shop, I got to thinking about my pencil delima and a little light came on. I grabbed my nearest pencil and cut a little piece of the sticky magnetic tape off the roll and tacked it to the side of the pencil. Oh man.... problem solved That rascal will stick anywhere there is metal now. I went wild and used the whole roll (I have a lot of pencils ). Good excuse for me to go back to the borg and buy some backup stock of the tape.

This may not be new to some, but I wanted to pass it along in case there are others out there that have this problem.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 03-10-2005 at 8:02 AM.

Sounds like a good tip to me! I have a clip on my pencil so I just clip it to the inside of my shirt.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Great stuff Bob.

I use it on the remote controls for the DC. Air Cleaner, TV, and stereo system in the shop. Cuts down on all the bad language I've been known to share.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Do like me and throw about 100 of em on everything. Then you'll have one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Do like me and throw about 100 of em on everything. Then you'll have one!
    Exactly my own method!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For those who used "entry badges" at work or elsewhere, it's not unusual to have one of those little "pull jobbies" which allow you to hang your badge at your side and pull it to the badge reader to open the doors.

They are great for holding pencils in the shop. Pull it up, mark the line, let it go. It automatically retracts to your side.

Our orange borg friends now sell them for that specific purpose. At the end of the string is a little rubber "holder oner" that attaches to the eraser side of the pencil. They're like 3 or 4 bucks at the borg.

Ciao
    Joe in Valrico

I was thinkg about using those re-coil thingy's for my DC remotes. I've got six of them and that should cover me pretty well. What dept in HD did you find them? tools?

At the store across the st from where I live, they were .... of course.... in the tool dept.

I just searched their web site but didn't score a hit on what I was looking for. I'll try to swing by tomorrow and get a sku.

Think of a retracting key holder janitors use. It was one of those but "much" lighter duty and had a rubber cup on the end to go over the eraaser side of the pencil...

Tks
    Joe in Valrico

Cool,

I may be stopping by a Lowe's or HD tomorrow, (gotta get those clamps and FWW subscription). I'll look around too.

Pencil holders

I thought that's what ears were for !

No.... No.... No.... Ears are to hold your ball cap on your head.