Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Fine Woodworking one year subscription

Free Fine Woodworking one year subscription

Lowes and Irwin have the following offer.

Free One year subscription to Fine Wood Working Magazine with a purchase of a 2 pack 6" Mini Quick-Grip. This is valid from 3/1 to 4/30/2005.

Information on clamps:

IRWIN® 6" QUICK-GRIP® Mini Bar Clamp (2-Pack)
    Item #: 96054
    Model: 5462SM

$19.88

So for a twenty dollar bill you get two clamps and a one year subscription. Seems like a deal to me.

It also asks if you are currently a subscriber on the form so you might be able to extend a subscription as well.

I may have to stop by Lowes today. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey Kyle,

Post #1 - welcome to SMC. You'll find a lot of nice folks and good info here.

Steve,

Thanks for the heads-up. That basically makes the clamps free and the subscription at a discount. Works for me!

Rob

No Lowes near me, otherwise I would be jumping on this deal
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Kyle -

Welcome to the the Creek. Great place to exchange ideas and inforamtion (like this one).

Steve - Thanks for the heads up. Wonder how they would handle this for an already exisiting subcription. Just tack on another year maybe?

Ted

Ted,

I was wondering the same thing...makes sense to me but then, what makes sense to me doesn't always fly with someone else!

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Got mine!

After reading this post this morning I was going to Lowes anyway so I checked it out. After purchase of the clamps (along with some other goodies!) you will get a Rebate Receipt from the cashier. It will ask if you currently have a subscription to the magazine....circle yes or no. Then it says current subscribers will receive a free one year renewal. It's a win/win situation. Now I don't need to pick it up at the newstands. Thanks for the heads up!

Well you can never have too many clamps. If they're going to extend my subscription for a free year on top of that, it sounds like a real no-brainer.
    Thanks!
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    After reading this post this morning I was going to Lowes anyway so I checked it out. After purchase of the clamps (along with some other goodies!) you will get a Rebate Receipt from the cashier. It will ask if you currently have a subscription to the magazine....circle yes or no. Then it says current subscribers will receive a free one year renewal. It's a win/win situation. Now I don't need to pick it up at the newstands. Thanks for the heads up!
    Yes---this is correct!!! Thank you !

You'll just put in your current FWW acct# and fill out the form--they will "add on" to your subscription end date. I just called Taunton/FWW to verify all of this. They will not process all the Magazine requests until they get 500+ orders or so....about 6-8 weeks is common to get things rolling.

My subscription isn't up until Feb 06......so now I'm good thru Feb 2007!

Thanks Steve Roxberg for the heads up!!!

Thanks Steve! You just solved my what to give birthday present dilemma. Will also have to give an "unbirthday" present to me.

I just realized, I should've gone by Lowes this afternoon on my way home. I predict there's going to be a big run on Irwin clamps now that the word is out. Maybe even bigger than the $47 router table from Sears.

I'll be stopping by Lowes tomorrow for this deal. Thanks for the heads-up.

chris

Potential Problem and Solution - Quick-Grip Promotion

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post at the Creek, and I hope to make many more...
    Went to my local Lowes in Sterling, VA late last night - the 6" 2-packs were nowhere to be found. But the their inventory system showed 30 units of that item no. (90654) in the store. I happened to find a very nice and very helpful employee named Charles (who will be very well complimented to his general manager) who happened to know how the system worked. When I told him what the approximate dates of the promotion were, he was certain that the clamps were in a box on the top shelf of their warehouse in a place designated for stuff to be rolled out at a later date. Bear in mind, by the time he figured this out, it was 9:58, and the store closed at 10:00.

"No worries, once you're in, you've got at least 20 minutes to finish up." He then located the box, co-opted the cherry-picker operator to get it down for us, slipped the cardboard cover off, and lo and behold, there were 6 boxes of Irwin Quick-Grip 6" mini-clamps with a special sign on the box noting the free subscription to FWW with your purchase.

After thanking Charles profusely, I went to the cashier, paid for my item, and received a rebate form which instructed me to fill it in and send it to a Lowe's P.O. Box. It also said that existing subscribers would get a 1-year extension on their current subscriptions.

So, if you go to your local Lowes and they do't have the clamps on an end-cap display (they won't be with the rest of the Quick-Grips), relate my story, and they should be able to accomodate you, unless the inventory showed 0 units in stock.

Hope that helps if you get into a frustrating situation. And thanks to Jamie, or whoever it was, who alerted us to this deal. The clamps look fine for the kinds of uses Jamie described - holding jigs in place, small object work, etc. And when you consider the deal, you're either getting two free clamps with your 1-year FWW subscription, or a free subscription (by far the priciest among the WW mags) with your $20 purchase of two Quick-Grip mini-clamps. A great deal any way you look at it.

I started to wonder whether I could run the deal multiple times, but I figure Lowes will probably hold all the forms until the promotion's over in April, and then send them all to FWW, so it probably wouldn't work (what a nefarious mind I have).

Have fun,

Mitch
    Mitch

I'm always humbled by how much I DON'T know...

Similar experience

Thanks for the heads up Steve! Had a similar experience at the Lowe's on Route 50 (near Rt, 28) in Virginia. Couldn't find the clamps and the customer service guy hadn't heard of the promotion. But since there is a rebate involved he was able to search their database, came up with the info, checked their stock to find out when more were coming in,then gave me the stock # and the store's phone # (with a tip on how to sidestep the phone tree - dial 0!). I found a pair hiding on a lower shelf so didn't need to call but the customer service was excellent. At HD I'd still be looking for someone to ask!
    Last edited by Dave Carey; 05-01-2005 at 9:42 AM.

Great exchange of info. Example of the potential of this forum..Thanks..
    Jerry