Thread: Help-under lathe drawers?

Help-under lathe drawers?

I know there have been many posts here on drawers built under the lathe. I have searched now for 10-15 minutes and no luck. I am tired of lathe tools being in 3-5 places so the new year will have a project as soon as I can figure out what I want to build. One tool I thought I had lost-looking for something else couple nights ago and there it was. Suprise-new tool. Any help appreciated and of course MERRY CHRISTMAS. May Santa come down your chimney and visit all you little turning boys and girls-my burl is already on its way from the West Virginia burl Santa.

There is a google group for mustard monster, some plans there under "miscellany"
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

not the best shot but I'm sure you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the storage unit I built to go under my monster. You can see that I store my turning tools in sleeves I made from PVC pipe and attached them to the sides and top of the box. Inside the box, I have a few shelves and some removable wooden boxes (bottom right) that I can take out to access when I need them. That way I can have the box that has the bits and things for my monster hollower out and not have to keep opening the door to get them. I got the basic idea from the mustard monster site, but did the fine tuning to fit my personal situation.

Hope this gives you some ideas, Mike

DSCF0340.jpgDSCF0343.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

there's a post showing a cabinet posted todayor late yesterday
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Mike:

The pinstriping on the box is the best!

Happy Holidays

Greg

Steve,Here's what I built to go under/in my Jet 1236. And, of course, I turned the knobs for it. I would advise you to layout your "stuff" on a clean surface first so you can decide which things will go or fit into each drawer. Best of luck...........My Garage 001Compressed.jpgMy Garage 004 Compressed.jpgMy Garage 005 Compressed.jpgMy Garage 008 Compressed.jpgLathe ToolBox 002.jpgLathe ToolBox 003.jpgLathe ToolBox.jpg
    Last edited by Walter Mooney; 12-22-2011 at 3:17 PM. Reason: Removed an errant picture

Thanks everyone, got some good ideas. Merry Christmas

This is what I did:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...age&highlight=

One thing I would recommend is not storing commonly used tools in drawers under your lathe. If you need the tool in the middle of a turning, you are guaranteed to end up with shavings in your drawers (no pun intended). They work great for everything else though - chucks, small tools, sanding supplies, calipers, etc.