Thread: Hand painting a cabinet door

Hand painting a cabinet door

I'm painting (brushing, not spraying) a master closet built-in. I can't wait until it's finished. It seems this project has taken forever to make due to interruptions of other projects. 53" wide, 9' tall (floor to ceiling), 16" deep on the bottom and 12" deep on the top. The "counter" is at 42" from the floor and is walnut.

I finished priming the 8 doors and 4 drawer fronts last night. Today, I'll sand them. The casework is already primed and sanded. I'm using a P&L water based primer. I bought satin white P&L Accolade to paint.

I try to avoid brushing like the plague, but this project requires brushing.

When YOU paint a raised paneled door, what brush do YOU use, and what order do YOU paint the door sections? For example, do you always do the backs first, and on the backs, do you paint the panel field first, then the rails and then the stiles and then the door edges? Or, some other order, or no order?

Todd

Backs first. Panels, rails, then stiles. When painting rails and stiles, I do the edges first, then fill in and tip off the face.

From the drawing, I would have sprayed that bad boy, one way or another, even if I had to mask off an entire room because it was already installed.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

See how the brushing comes out. If its not that good use a foam roller and foam brush. I had trouble with brush strokes on a cabinet I painted. The foam brush lightly smoothed out the brush marks.