Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project in progress: Kitchen Island

hate breaking things in the shop! last night while i was sanding one of my end panels, i tripped and fell on top of it as it was going through the drum sander breaking off one of the outer stiles. guess what i'll be doing later tonight??? can't wait to see the finished product, todd

Other than drawer and doors and plinth... I'm done with the island. She's installed and ready for granite. Just getting home (~12:35 AM). Client is muy happy.

Here's a shot from the living room into the kitchen.

DSC_4031.jpg

Another angle.

DSC_4034.jpg

This is the detail of how the leg assembly connected to the end panels. It worked out well. I wanted to create some interest in the footprint as opposed to just having a rectangular base. After the tile is installed, I'll wrap the bottom in a 4" base (1/2" thick cherry, with a 45 degree bevel on the top corner, finished like the rest of the cherry).

DSC_4043.jpg

I did a lot more work that just the island tonight. We got the long run of base cabinets screwed together. Dad can now call the granite guy (and then install his cook range, sink, and dishwasher!! Almost a kitchen! A little more work on the electrical box in the leftmost cabinet, and the double-oven can be installed.

DSC_4035.jpg

Posterity picture. (10' tall ceiling. 6' 1" tall Todd.)

DSC_4036.jpg

I'll post a final picture later after all the uppers are in, and the floor and cabinet lighting too. Thanks for following.

Todd

Looks great so far, Todd.
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

agreed! todd how are you fixing the legs to the floor?

Well, that's an interesting question Frank. The floor is so uneven, one leg, while shimmed, could still be surrounded by tile, but the other leg had to be shimmed so much due to a low spot in the floor, we could probably lay tile underneath it. My dad's laying the tile, and he's been down this road before (professional tile installed for years and years) so I'll let him deal with it.

the weight from the granite countertop will probably stop most movement unless a rhino comes charging through the kitchen please post more pics after the tile goes in. i love home renovations... just wish i didn't have to part-time it - a lesser woman would've left me by now!!!

Todd, it's coming along nicely. You were MIA for a bit there, nice to see you back.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 03-22-2012 at 4:55 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

No pictures right now, but the 3 drawers for the island, along with 20 others for other parts of the house (23 in total) are now all glued up and ready for final sanding prior to shooting satin lacquer.

When gluing box joints up, it is inevitable to get glue squeeze-out on both the inside and outside of the box. Yesterday, I started the drudgery of paring out the dried glue squeeze-out on the insides of the drawers. I hate this part of making boxes. I first went to my typically-grabbed short paring chisel and started paring. However, I chose to start with a deep drawer, and the short, 4" or so, chisel quickly turned useless trying to reach deeper parts of the drawer. I like to move my chisel parallel with the joint, as opposed to paring perpendicular and into the corner.

I paused, sat back and thought for a minute about other options, and then remembered I had some old cranked necked (Marples, boxwood handles) paring chisels. I had seen it just the other day when looking for something else. I grabbed the closest one (1 1/2" wide and probably 10" long) and HOLY COW, did it ever work fantastic! Never again will I dread cleaning up glue squeeze-out inside a box again. The cranked neck style makes all the difference in the world.

Todd

No pictures of the granite that is installed, but I had some fun putting this video together.

http://youtu.be/GdeZmCi3dmo

that's an awesome video, todd. have you ever considered using a manual tile cutter? i got one manufactured by rubi and it works great: no noise, no water, no electricity although it doesn't cut certain materials... was that your father or father in law helping you out? he sure looks like he's still in good shape!

Yep, that's my dad, and my son. He is in good shape. He just turned 72. I'll be 50 this year, and my son is 21. And, I was helping him out!

Wet saw is already purchased. Can't cut inside corners with a manual cutter. Dad's been laying tile for most of his career. Most he ever laid in 1 day was 1300 sf. Now, when hits about 150 sf, he calls it a day!

Never in my wildest dreams would I expect to find a video posted on a woodworking site with a theme song from House of Pain-Jump Around! Looking forward to seeing the final product so keep the updates coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Yep, that's my dad, and my son. He is in good shape. He just turned 72. I'll be 50 this year, and my son is 21. And, I was helping him out!

Wet saw is already purchased. Can't cut inside corners with a manual cutter. Dad's been laying tile for most of his career. Most he ever laid in 1 day was 1300 sf. Now, when hits about 150 sf, he calls it a day!
    1300 sf in ONE DAY?!? he must've been flying like that video lol

Todd, great video . . . although I assume your son rather than you or dad selected the music?.

I tend to work ALOT slower than you gentlemen, despite the frequent ingestion of caffeine via coffee.

Actually I picked the music! One of my tunes I listen to all day working from home. The first time I heard it, I was at an OU football game in Norman, OK. EVERYONE, except me and my wife, stood up and started jumping around. I thought it was so cool.

I'm hip. A little.

Pat - you should see me out in the shop after a RED BULL! Don't get in my way!! lol

One of the most entertaining videos I've seen, Todd! Great project, too. Even more impressive people. Good to see you again.

Jerry