Thread: 2 man fishing pontoon

2 man fishing pontoon

I would like to have a go at making a 2 man fishing pontoon similar to the inflatable version pictured below. Anyone know of available plans for for such a thing?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Seems like there's a formula for determining weight capacity/size of pontoon on the net. Other than that it's probably just a case of installing a platform for seat positioning and a pad for an O/B motor. Stitch & glue construction would be relatively easy for a project like this giving you a water tight unit for flotation.
    Good luck,
    Mac

I built a ply version two years ago, it was really a version of an all foam boat from the 60s that I loved the look of it in the day. I found that ply really added up in weight, and the boat was quite heavy, certainly no float tube. I did see a pontoon like boat that a guy made, probably out of dacron stretched over a light frame. He spoke quite highly of it. That would be a sparser version of geodesic aerolight, and there is lots of info on that. Think GA with the structure of a WW! fuselage. My build thread was on the Texas Fishing forum since they had info on kick boats there and got me my dimensions for my recreation. The reason the ply weight ads up is that basically two hulls are less efficient at load carrying than one, yet on needs the same displacement as a kayak, usually a deck, and on needs a bridge deck between. That is where hypalon and aluminum tube come in. Foam is an option also. I probably would not do straight ply again, though once in the water it is excellent.