Thread: Storing finish materials I.E. Waterlox

Storing finish materials I.E. Waterlox

I have been using Waterlox for many years and used several ways to store it to keep it fresh. Adding marbles to fill can, co2 to push out air and none were 100 % effective. One day my wife was canning fruit in 1 pint jars and evacuating air with a vacuum sealing machine. Behold what a concept. So now I buy Waterlox in one gallon cans (way cheaper) and it will fill 9 pint jars vacuum packed. No more gooey Waterlox now.

No vacuum sealer here. I empty the gallon into quart and/or pint jars pretty close to the top, and then top them off with reducer. No problems for me anymore.

Since I use it at about 20%+/- thinned for brushing, and 50/50 for wiping, as I use a part of a jar, I transfer it to smaller jars - some full-strength, some labelled "brushable" some labelled "wiping"....right on down to half-pint jars.

And, it ain't rocket science to take a half-pint of 50/50, mix full strength with it to get brushable, and keep the process going. I pretty much always get the brushed coats on, one last light sanding, and one wipe on coat......keeps Mr Dust Nibs at bay pretty good. I envision that someday, I might end up with a too many half-pint wiping jars, in which case I'll switch to a 3 wipe-on coats in place of one brushed, to use it up.

And - yeah - the gallons are much, much cheaper.............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.