Thread: Angle grinder/cutoff wheel vs a 10" saw blade.

Angle grinder/cutoff wheel vs a 10" saw blade.

I used my cheap 4.5" angle grinder yesterday to simply obliterate something metal.
    I used it a few weeks ago to cut some old metal bed frames into shorter sections.

I'm simply amazed at how easily this thing eats metal.

It got me wondering if it would go through and old 10" saw blade just as easily?

One things for sure though....I'm not leaving this thing laying around the house. It's going to have a permanent home in my van.
    I don't think there's a lock box or a safe that can hold out for long against one of these things!
    Man oh man - talk about sheer destructive ability! I thought a 13 amp reciprocating saw could go "through stuff".
    I wouldn't want to make things easy for a thief if they broke in,

Blog Entries
    My son used to work at Grainger and got me a good deal on a returned Skill pro 4.5" grinder years ago, wasn't sure I needed it at the time, but boy does it get a workout. My other son is an ironworker and the standard there seems to be the 6" Metabo angle grinder, awesome machine particularly with a good cut-off wheel. The Dewalt wheels are great, some of the others not so. For the big stuff, I have a 240 volt 3 hp 10" Kalmazoo abrasive cut off saw left over from a prior life. Although back then I used it to mostly cut heavy aluminum extrusions with a carbide blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    It got me wondering if it would go through and old 10" saw blade just as easily?
    Yep! I've used mine to cut some old 10" and 12" blades into strips and made them into marking knives, etc... Carbide blades tend to have meh steel for most of these purposes in my experience (not saying they all are and perhaps with better tempering they'd be better - room for experimentation definitely left), HSS has proven somewhat more useful.

The hard parts are holding a line with it and not burning the crap out of the metal. A light hand and multiple passes seems to help with both.

Cool!!!!

I can see a few new knives in my future.
    I might even try building some sort of bridge saw - like the ones used to cut ceramic tile - with the grinder.