Thread: angles to buidl an oval mirror

angles to buidl an oval mirror

I would like to build an oval mirror. I need help in determining the angles of the segments to join together from which I can cut the oval. Can any one help?

How many pieces of wood do you want to use? That will determine the angles you need.

also depends on where you want the joints. I'd suggest you draw it full size then draw a straight line horizontally and vertically through the centers. Now draw parallel to those to show the width of the boards you will need for a four piece frame. You will probably need to make it out of six or eight pieces but once it is layed out on paper it's easy enough measure the angles.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

what you need to do is figure out how many piese's you want. Now divide that nember into 360 degree's and that is the degrees of the pieces but you 1/2 that. Take 4 piece that is 90 degrees now each side will be 45 degrees. Now if 8 pieces that would be 22 1/2 degrees on each side. If you use 8 what you can do is glue up 4 at a time that way when you put to gather each 4 and they don't fit perfect you can flat sand down the end's so that those fit. good luck
    Last edited by del schisler; 12-23-2011 at 5:06 PM.