Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand plane or electric hand planer as a first plane?

I have an electric plane and a Remimgton 870 pump shotgun.
    The plane can do more damage in less time than the shotgun.

I'd give mine away except for the fact that I don't dislike anyone bad enough to give it to them.

Anyhow - for doors. Dremel makes a plane attachement for a rotary Dremel tool.
    It's the slickect thing I've ever seen for doing doors.

A decent Stanley block plane and smoother planer are a good set to have for a starting point. The blades are pretty good and will hold an edge. One important thing to keep in mind is any new plane, and most old one's, will need to be sharpened properly to get good results. This is the most difficult part of owning and using a plane and where your end result will be determined. You can search the forums and find some useful advice to this end.

In my experience box store planes are way overpriced as they will cause a lot frustration trying to get them to work. Stanley, Record, and similar quality planes are a good value and will certainly get the job done. LN planes are wonderful, but you probably won't really appreciate the difference unless you start out with what most of us did back in shop class

FWIW my LN planes don't leave the shop, I use Stanley/Record planes for all my site work.

good luck,
    JeffD

For taking tiny amounts of wood off the top of a door, where you have end grain as well as flat grain, I use a belt sander. Open the door up and put my step ladder up to the end, and take my belt sander and work on it for a few turns, close the door and check the top gap. If you have to take the door off, mark it with a pencil so you can see how much to take off. Take off the least amount possible to let door close without dragging.

+1 for hand plane. I have a Festool electric plane. Excellent tool. But I use my hand planes much more.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations. I ended up getting four old Stanly's No 7 & No5 and two block planes for $100. After 4 hours of cleaning, removing rust, regrinding, sharpening and honing I paned a plank with them. It was a joy and they make beautiful shavings!