Thread: Taurari?

Taurari?

Anyone every worked with this tropical hardwood? I picked up a free load of scraps from a hardwood flooring company. The best boards were actually the pallet material, which I've identified as Taurari (aka Brazilian Oak, but there's another species more commonly referred to by that name). How is it for decay resistance? I was thinking of using it for some outdoor furniture.

I made the mistake of handsawing a small piece off of a 1x4 to joint so I could ID it. When I finally finished, my right arm felt like I'd just pitched a complete game to the Yankees, and that particular saw goes through domestic HW with no problem. The Taurari is not nearly as dense as the Jatoba that was in the same load. Don't know if I want to fool with the Jatoba, even if it was free, based on what I've heard about it's effect on cutting tools.

James I've never heard of it before but I offer these 3 items as a suggestion.
    A: wear a mask or respirator
    2: don't scratch any "thing" before you wash your hands
    D: make your pets can't get to the wood chips or saw dust
    As it's an exotic wood it may or may not be detremental to you or your pet's health. It may or may not be dangerous to be around, but I wouldn't take chances.