Thread: My CNC Air Exchanger

My CNC Air Exchanger

Just about got my air exchange system finished. So far it works pretty good. All the air from the router is blown out the side. This makes dust pick up very efficient. It allows me to use smaller hoses and smaller vacuums. I no longer use magnets on the shrouds so they are much simpler to make.
    The air exchanger also allows you to attach a wrench to the main shank by just slipping it in the slot. This allows you to change the bits one handed.

I have built the system to work with most K2CNC mounts.

See it here:

Blog Entries
    Without DXF files, it didn't happen
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

These for sale then?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Some day I may sell them. I have to see how well they hold up. For instance, when tightening the collet, the upper wrench cracked a couple of the links used to build up the air exchanger. This was solved by a little design change. There are a couple more areas that I need to tweak.

I just ordered the Makita and Hitachi mounts from K2CNC.

If I ever sell them. I will place some drawign files up for the shrouds. They can be cut on the CNC, or laser then assembled. I have a bunch of that black brush stock, I may create a shroud using that stuff.
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 12-28-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Do you mind sharing some of the details of your design? I've just got my CNC build making dust, and its clear some kind of dust mitigation is absolutely NECESARY!!

How do you "seal" around the router spindle to prevent the router exhaust from blowing through this space? On my Milwaukee router the backing/fixed nut on the spindle sits in a recess. So if you placed a flat diverter below the exhaust, you'd likely block most (if not all) of the access of the upper wrench.

For my router, I wonder if i should place the diverter just below the collet, but that would make bit changes more difficult, and caust possible clearance issues... what do you think?

Here is a picture of the bottom of my router showing how the backing nut on the spindle sits in a 1/4" recess/pocket...

IMG_0959_crop.jpg

The spindle hole sits below the upper wrench slot on purpose. You slide the upper wrench in thorugh one of the side vent slots. This means once the wrench is in place you can let it go. This way you can place one hand on the lower wrench (collet) and the other on the bit.

I just got three more K2CNC mount and am refigning the design for a Makita, Porter Cable, Hitachi, Dewalt 618 and Bosch 1617. The only difference is some spacers and the main router casing hole.

Very nice design!! Can I ask where you found the skirt material you're using?
    Universal VLS 3.50
    CorelDraw X6

I made it. Its 1/8" craft foam that has been cut with my laser. I find that when its doubled and trippled up it works much better than the brush material I get from McMaster Carr. Its also much cheaper and easyer to work with. Most of the time I just hot glue it to the form I am using. I can also get it in many colors so it can be cut to match the color of the machine. You can also get 1/4" craft foam but its too stiff.

I have two dust shoes for this particular cnc. The short one shown here is two rows of 1/8" foam. I have a longer one that is two rows of the short cut on the inside and 3 rows of a longer cut. I use that shoe with larger and longer bits.

Thanks! I'll have to look into that.
    Universal VLS 3.50
    CorelDraw X6