Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking input on support mechanism to be used with a drill press

Question Seeking input on support mechanism to be used with a drill press

I want to purchase or make something to balance longer wood while using my drill press. My drill press is a Delta X5 16 1/2" VS (see: http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4749) and I have made a mobile base for it.

I found this support thingy at the Lee Valley web site: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,41060

I am seeking comments and advise about this specific support or any alternatives that you care to suggest.

Frank,

We have that same type set up on our Job Site SCMS. It really does work great for that tool. It takes a little getting used to, when adjusting the supports for height, but once you get used to it, you really can adjust them pretty finely.

My question for this support is why the cross bars (horizontal) are not longer? It looks like you don't get a whole lot of additional long board support. Other than that issue, it looks like a great solution! I sure like our SCMS stand with the same type set up.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Looking at the picture it seems that the table will not be able to be rotated about the drill press column since the rack of a rack-and-pinion table height adjuster would be captured between the two halves of the support clamp. (if you don't need to rotate your table often, than this wouldn't be an issue.)
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

You might want to visit HTC's website. I'm on their mailing list and a catalog showed up today with a setup similar to the LV one you linked to. Don't have experience with either one though.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    You might want to visit HTC's website. I'm on their mailing list and a catalog showed up today with a setup similar to the LV one you linked to. Don't have experience with either one though.
    I don't think that HTC has a web site; however Northern Tool and Equipment does have a web site (http://www.northerntool.com/) and they sell HTC stuff. I found the drill press support that you mentioned there, and I think it is exactly the same as the one sold by Lee Valley.

Well I think you're right on both accounts. I looked closer at the catalog and it is the exact same model, right down to the label on the front. So it's an HTC unit, but LV's price is actually $10 less than the HTC catalog price. And I couldn't find anywhere in the catalog that lists a website address.
    Use the fence Luke

Frank, Here's one from Grizzly.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Newman
    Frank, Here's one from Grizzly.
    Interesting. The Grizzly one seems to have the same parts as the one from Lee Valley and HTC, but the maximum width of the Grizzly support is 6" less (only 48" for the Grizzly). One other difference is that the Grizzly support is half the price of the support sold by Lee Valley.

What I think I would like is one tat has a wider maximum width, not a smaller maximum width.

Question Has no one used on of these things

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe
    Looking at the picture it seems that the table will not be able to be rotated about the drill press column since the rack of a rack-and-pinion table height adjuster would be captured between the two halves of the support clamp. (if you don't need to rotate your table often, than this wouldn't be an issue.)
    I think that you are right about this Dan, but it sure would be good to hear from someone who has actually used one of these gizmos so that we could ask about this. It appears that it would not be hard to remove the support in order to rotate the table and I don't think that I will need to rotate the table very much.

I will send the question to Lee Valley since they are usually quite good at finding answers to questions about things that they sell.

I have one. Most of the time it is off the press, but I do use it on occasion. The wings are not quite as sturdy as I would like when fully extended, but it allows me to get the job done. And no, you cannot rotate the table with it in place.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Frank,
    Using that Canadian ingenuity, I'm sure you can come up with something that can multi task rather than be dedicated to the DP. Doesn't sound like it gets a lot of use. I picked these up at Rockler on sale and move them from one tool out feed to the next with ease. Very versatile.

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=10537&slt=hp
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    I have one. Most of the time it is off the press, but I do use it on occasion. The wings are not quite as sturdy as I would like when fully extended, but it allows me to get the job done. And no, you cannot rotate the table with it in place.
    Thanks Carole, it's good to hear from a real user. Do you have the unit that is sold by Lee Valley and HTC? If so, I will continue to look around and see if I can find one that appears to be more sturdy.

So, I will need to take the thing off then put it on again if I need to rotate the table. How long does it take to set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Frank,
    Using that Canadian ingenuity, I'm sure you can come up with something that can multi task rather than be dedicated to the DP. Doesn't sound like it gets a lot of use. I picked these up at Rockler on sale and move them from one tool out feed to the next with ease. Very versatile.

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=10537&slt=hp
    Thanks Tyler. I see that the rollers are geared to bench top tools and I don't have many of those, but I might be able to come up with a way to use tham with my drill press -so you have given me a bit of a challenge.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    In these pix I used them on the in and out feed of my planer. There's a couple on the chop saw station way back in the first pix and I've even used them clamped to a B&D Workmake for out feed on my PM 66. Not the cure all end all but they have come in handy. Good hunting. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13565
    No affiliation
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-12-2005 at 9:32 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Htc Drill Press support

I purchased mine about 6 months ago. I only paid 17.50 for it at a return center. I would pass on it if I could do it again. The horizontal arms are not a tight fit in the sleeves. They are secured with a a pc of threaded rod tightened with a plastic handle. Not rickety but you can still move the arms around when it is fully hand tightened.

When you get right down to it a long horizontal reach is not the best way to provide verticle support. I think amazon carries them and they were not reviewed well there either.
    bob boake-Tulsa OK