Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My latest segmented turning & photography effort.

Excellent turning Bill! I am sure your Dad loves it!

Can't really offer any more than what has already been said on the photography. Just keep varying the settings and find what works for your setup.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

As always TOP notch work. I like the wood choice for this project. Great gift for Dad.

Beautiful turning Bill. Dad is going to love it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Excellent

Agreed. Really great piece and . . . Jamie's picture is the best!

I too am looking for his answer regarding what he did to "improve" it.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Bill,

Very nice piece. I really like it.

Alan

Photoshop Elements 3 to the rescue! I'm phrugal, and try to keep things simple!

Nice form but I really love your feature ring. It's gorgeous.

Photoshop Elements is your friend! I came up with this by simply increasing brightness and contrast in the "Enhance" > Adjust lighting > Brightness and Contrast.

400279568.jpg

Upping the contrast just a bit often compensates for a loss in clarity that results from shrinkifying the image, increasing brightness corrects underexposure. Most pictures only need work in adjust lighting and possibly adjust color (if white balance is off). Simply work with the image until it matches wheat you see in real life. There is a free editing program called "Gimp", that is said to have most of the features that Photoshop Elements does.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 12-29-2011 at 1:00 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I know nothing about good photography and very little about segmented turning. But I know artistry when I see it and, your vessels are art!
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I don't know diddles about photography, but I do know segmenting. great colors & great joints.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Bill,
    Fantastic work. You've succeeded in making me a lover of segmented turnings, especially yours. I do have a question. You mentioned you turned the entire shape with just your Glaser bowl gouge. I'm thinking about how impossible that would be with a solid bowl. Is the fact that there is no end grain to deal with on the inside what makes that doable?
    faust

That is some very nice work, Bill! I am sure it will be well received.

Bill, very nice piece of segmentation. I applaud your efforts to improve your photography. For most viewers, it's the only image that they will ever see and therefore perhaps just as important as the item itself. One small, very common error that I've mentioned to folks over on the Segmented Woodturners site is levelness. I see so many great turnings, and pretty good photos too, but the image is not level. The human eye is very good at spotting something that's not level. For what it's worth.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Malcolm and thanks to everyone. I'm determined to get this photography thing sorted out. As far as turning a solid piece vs a segmented piece, I don''t think it would make that much difference. What's really fun about segmenting though, is that you are turning long grain all the way around so these beautiful ribbons start to peel off. In some cases I'd say they could easily be 100 feet long if you don't break them. With a sharp tip, they just shoot off the cutting edge and keep flowing. It really is a blast. I'll have to try a solid piece with the 10V one of these times. Now you've got me curious.
    When I made this piece I cut up enough pieces to make 2 feature rings. I'm working on another one very similar to this one. It'll be for my SIL as a late Christmas gift.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Very beautiful, Bill.