Thread: ADA sign shape variations

ADA sign shape variations

Keith, I see that you pretty much use a standard shape for most of your ADA signs and it appears to be very efficient for maximizing your corian. I was considering ideas such as having a tooth shaped outline for a dentist office and other shapes depending on the type of facility. Can you speak to what variations are generally allowed for the base shape and still pass inspection? Can they vary much from an approximate 6" x 8" profile that you use?

Rich,

To the best of my knowledge you can use any shape sign for ADA door signs.
    I use the same shape sign most of the time because it is unique and it maximizes the number of blanks I get from a sheet of Corian. A also have several jigs and fixtures that I use for this shape, this saves my customers money.

If a customer prefers a particular sign design or shape I do my best to provide what they want. When you are working on a design consider the width and height to make sure that the text will fit, remember that the minimum text height is 5/8" tall so make certain that words like Restroom, Auditorium, Conference, Electrical, Mechanical, etc will fit across the horizontal plane. Also remember that the words are all capital letters. You also have to make sure that all of the typical icons will fit the sign design. Stairwell, Mens Room, Women's Room and Restroom icons have to fit your design. Also the fire code requirements for evacuation signs are pretty specific concerning text size and specifically the height of the floor level number.

There are times when I have to place a door sign right next to an Area of Refuge sign so I use the same shape and enlarge the Area of Refuge sign to suit the specifications. Currently both signs are mounted 60 inches from the floor to the center of the sign so they look symmetrical given they both have the same shape. My fire evacuation signs are the only ones that are rectangular, thats because they are building maps or plan views of each floor.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-28-2011 at 9:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    My fire evacuation signs are the only ones that are rectangular, thats because they are building maps or plan views of each floor.
    Unless it's for the Pentagon
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The last Fire Evacuation signs I made were for a U shaped building with three floors plus an attic.
    I used a large rectangle for that one so I guess the same would work for a pentagon shaped building
    There is always text and some graphics that have to be included such as the floor number, North Arrow, etc.
    There is also a table that identifies what the icons mean, like the "You Are Here" arrowhead and the evacuation route details and colors.
    There is also a note not to use the elevators in the case of a fire.

Note: the requirements for specialty signs have increased over the last five years to the point that they are almost as much work as ADA door signs. Jobs that used to be $35,000.00 are now running $75,000.00 based on the additional sign work. As an example we now place small (4" by 7") exit signs right next to every door on the first floor and there are three signs on every level in each stairwell. These add to the price real quick on a large building. This doesn't include any building directories or way-finding signs.

When I ordered the new Trotec Speedy 300 I didn't even have to think about it..........I absolutely have to have the speed because the laser engraving work is the bottleneck.

Life is good
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-29-2011 at 8:37 AM.