Thread: My DC Remodel, Phase 1

My DC Remodel, Phase 1

Since I picked the brains of so many on this forum before starting my Dust Collector rebuild, I thought I'd post a progress update and a pic or three.

I started with a factory PSI DC-2 equipped with 5-micron bag-style dust distributors. Phase one is conversion to a canister filter and addition of an internal Thien baffle.
    IMG_0002.jpgThe PS-2 has a spiral ramp, so it required either the PSI retrofit filter or a donut to mount a third-party filter. Being both thrifty and a big fan of donuts, I went for the latter. After consulting with Rick Wynn at Wynn Environmental, decided to go with their model C-1425C, a closed-top filter with an integral mounting flange. It's also one of Wynn's nanofiber filters, rated MERV 15 and 99.999% efficient at 0.5 micron. That's performance PSI doesn't offer at ANY price, for $100 less(with shipping) than PSI's best filter.

ring_mounted.jpgRing_Underside.jpgfilter mounted.jpgThe donut is made from two pieces of 3/4" MDF, the upper one with an O.D. slightly larger than the DC-2's ring and I.D. matching the filter.The inner donut has an O.D. matching the inside of the DC-2's ring and ID matching the I.D. of the filter (14"). I cut the donuts with my router and a circle guide, glued them together with yellow glue and pinned them with 1 1/4" brads from my pneumatic brad gun. The lower donut fastens to the DC2 ring using brass knife-edge inserts and 10-32 screws; the same inserts and screws are used to fasten the filter to the donut. The foam seal on the bottom of the filter compresses nicely against the lower donut. I added a piece of 3/8x1/8 self-stick weatherstrip to the upper ring to seal the junction between donut and DC2's ring. The finished product is clean, efficient, and even looks like I knew what I was doing

baffle.jpgI wanted to use S2S tempered hardboard for the baffle, but can't find S2S hardboard in this burg if my life depended on it. I settled for a 1/8" hardboard wall panel with a smooth back surface and smooth white front. The front is smooth and slick, so I used it for the top surface of the baffle.The baffle is mounted with L brackets to the side of the DC-2's ring, with about an inch between the bottom of the spiral and the top of the baffle. I was careful to not compromise the surface where the lower band clamp once held the lower bag so I could get a smooth, clean seal with he new plastic lower bag.

DC2_Modified.jpgSpeaking of bags, the two clear plastic bags included with the Wynn filter couldn't have fit the DC2's ring any better--tight enough that I had to work at getting in on the ring. I re-used the original band clamp to secure the bag, just because it felt wrong not to use something.

I tested the unit using a couple of piles of sawdust hiding behind my band saw and planer and 10 feet of 6" hose. It seems to work well, but the real test will come when I get the ductwork hung--which I hope to start tomorrow following a tour of Little Rock's finest plumbing supply houses in search of 6" PVC.

D.
    Last edited by Dan Case LR; 12-29-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Hey Dan,

So it's been almost a year with this mod, any follow-up comments?

I have a 2HP single-bag DC much like yours, and it also has that internal ramp in it. I found this post while googling around trying to see if the Thien baffle should go below it or above it. Below it seems to be the consensus. But just wanted to say thanks for this post of yours as the photos are very nicely done and give me all the detail anyone would need to duplicate it.

But if you have any comments on how it has performed for you I would be interested to here them.

thanks
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

Blog Entries
    Art,

I have a similar post with a unit that has the straight ring (not the ramp)... so far, it's working quite well.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Art, after a year of use my remodeled DC has left me quite satisfied. My only complaint is that at 1.5 HP it doesn't quite have the pull I need for the SCMS, which is at the end of the run with a custom shroud that otherwise works pretty well. The other limitation is when using the table saw with both the cabinet port and the Shark Guard. I have to play around a lot with the blast gates to get optimum pickup. A little more suction would make a big difference.

Definitely a good investment of both time and money.

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.