Thread: Wooden radiator covers

Wooden radiator covers

I need to build some radiator covers for a friend. She wants them built out of wood with some fret work on the front of them. Can I use any kiln dried hard wood, or do I need to use a plywood or MDF? Thanks.

My parents have baseboard hot water heating and I've made replacement covers for their bathrooms (the old ones were getting rusty) and their kitchen (remodel changed the layout and they liked the look of the ones I made.) All are hardwood--oak in one bathroom, painted "wormy" soft maple in the other and the kitchen. They are all at least a couple years old now and holding up well.

Their heating contractor wanted to know if I'd make them for them to offer but I declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    My parents have baseboard hot water heating and I've made replacement covers for their bathrooms (the old ones were getting rusty) and their kitchen (remodel changed the layout and they liked the look of the ones I made.) All are hardwood--oak in one bathroom, painted "wormy" soft maple in the other and the kitchen. They are all at least a couple years old now and holding up well.

Their heating contractor wanted to know if I'd make them for them to offer but I declined.
    Matt, what did you use for the front of your radiator cover? Did you glue up the oak to get a wide enough piece, then cut holes or do fret work on it, or did you use metal with the holes already cut out?

This was for modern baseboards (installed in the 60's) so they are only about 8" tall. I just put a 1" slot at the top and bottom.

I made these covers earlier in the year for my son who lives in Northern Michigan. They are oak and oak ply and no problems so far. I googled "wooden radiator covers", found design he liked and did my best to copy them. I made 5 in all, some with shelves to bookend his fireplace and provide a place for his cable box (I eventually covered the wires on the side of the fireplace with a trim piece).

Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

I've borrowed some ideas from http://eradiatorcovers.biz/, used poplar and a painted finish, might give you some ideas, I would think that you could work some fretwork into some of the panels.

I built some hot water baseboard heater covers out of hemlock a few years ago. I was in the house again this summer and they looked great after 5 years. Nothing fancy, but the wood was in good shape and they still looked like new. With plywood or MDF I would be afraid of heating all that glue and fuming the house with it. It may not be a real concern, but I know of several instances of in-floor radiant heaters heating floor coverings where the fumes caused health problems. Again, I do not know of MDF or plywood actually poses a similar concern.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Pat, I made some out of poplar and they came out good. Search for Radiator Cover Project and you can see a few pictures of them. I don't know how to paste the link to the thread.

Don