Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Cross Cut Sled Question

Another Cross Cut Sled Question

I have used a sled on all the table saws I have had in the past. However, after upgrading to a Grizzly 1023SL from the old Craftsman saws that I have had, I would like to make a high quality, accurate sled. I am just curious what materials people have used in their sleds. In the past I have just used 1/2" AC plywood, KD Fir 2x4's for rails and oak runners. They stayed "reasonably" accurate for many years , but I know there are better materials to use today. I also think my new saw deserves better. My shop is unheated, so stability is an issue for the materials I use. So... what have do you use to construct your sleds?

Thanks,
    Greg

Blog Entries
    Hi Greg. I am about to do the same thing. You might want to check out the link I am leaving below. Highland Hardware offers a kit for building your own TS sled. What comes in the kit is the phenolic runners to fit in the slot(s) on your table, instructions for construction, and a see through lexan cover that goes over the kerf in the sled to prevent cutting the wrong thing(s). I am told it makes a very nice accurate sled.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...OD&ProdID=2626

Greg -

I used Baltic Birch equiavlent from Home Depot to build mine several years ago. It is still nice and flat. The runners are maple from the scrap bin. Finished the whole thing with shellac and waxed the bottom really well.

Ted

1/2" BB ply with walnut fences and white oak runners here. Has stayed flat and true in my uninsulated shop. What will I do different on my next one? I will make the fences a little higher and incorporate some sort of clamping or hold down system.

I made the base out of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood, I can't remember the name of the material the runners were made out of but it is a dense white (like plastic) material they make cutting boards out of, the fences were made out of a backsplash from a kitchen counter top (the backsplash is the type not permantly fixed to the counter top)

I bought one of those Jigs and Fixtures Books last year that had a couple of sled articles in it. The author preferred MDF to plywood. He said it would stay flatter over the long haul. I made a simple panel cutter out of 1/2 inch MDF with a maple runner and it's fine. I plan on doing a large one like David Marks and may use 3/4 MDF.

A coat of shellac on each side of a plywood one may go a long way in preventing any wood movement with the ply.

My sled is 1/2 inch MDF and the fences are poplar. I used metal runners for this on. I want to make a miter sled for picture frames next and I bought some of that white low friction stuff cut to table slot size.

Roger

I made mine out of 3/4 MDF with oak runners and I love it.....that is once it is on the table. At approximately 26" x 40", I feel like I am going to pop a gasket everytime I lift it onto the saw. I'm thinking of making another out of 1/2" material just to get the weight down.

I just finished putting mine together over the weekend. I used 1/2" mdf for the base baltic birh ply for the front and rear fince and red oak for the runners. Everything cam out of my scrap pile.

Mine is of 1/2 fir ply but I think MDF would be more stable. I used oak runners and 2X6 shaped material for the 2 ends and waxed well. Still working fine but a little heavy!
    Jerry

Hi Greg - I just built my version of a Dubby using 3/4 melamine. Seems to work great so far, but the thicker the material the less height capacity you'll have.

My sleds are out of 1/2" baltic birch ply or 1/2" MDF. All have worked out nicely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I constructed one using the following:

• 1/2” Baltic Birch base
    • Maple Fences
    • Lexan Guard
    • Phenolic Runners ( I prefer steel however)
    • Aspen Handle
    • Maple Stop Block

The stop block moves flips over and slides in and out. For details see my website (link in profile)

Dave

I used 3/4" MDF for the reason that I htink MDF is flatter than BB, which otherwise would have been my preference. I used maple runners, but they change dimension over time, winter to summer, and will build the next one with metal runners. I used 8/4 ash for the front and back becuase I had some scrap laying about.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I made mine from 3/4" Birch ply and the fences were ply (two layers) as well. The runners were Maple.