Thread: Moldy glue?

Moldy glue?

Just bought some Titebond cold press glue for veneering on the internet, but the glue arrived with disconcerting black spots thoughout (see picture). It also smells kind of funky, though that may be normal (I've never used this type of glue before).

Is the glue molding or is this a normal characteristic of this type of glue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Can't say if it's mold or not, but it's definitely no longer a proper formulation. Return/replace it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I bought a gallon of Better Bond cold press glue from Joewoodworker. It looked kind of like that after I let it sit in it's box for a year until I built the veneer press. The difference was that my glue had brown pigment rather than black. The instructions on their site are to lay the bottle on it's side and rotate it every hour or so. It worked fine for me, although it was never a truly uniform color. It gets mixed nicely when you roller it on, so a little bit of color separation is no big deal.

It is curious that your glue has black pigment, though. It would be interesting to find out what the company that you bought it from says about it.

I have the same bottle sitting on my shelf. I have never used it. It has the same black color to it. I was just going to mix it and then try it.

It's old.

No, wait.... it's ancient.