Thread: Mixing other woods with Oak for cabinets

Mixing other woods with Oak for cabinets

Just curious if anyone has mixed other woods with oak to build kitchen cabinets? Thinking of having the cabinets out of oak and doors out of another wood? Would appreicate any ideas. Thanks Lewis

If you are going to fill the grain and paint them, then it really doesn't matter. (Just all all the furniture manufacturers that sell painted furniture - read the label - "mixed hardwoods").

Ash is close, grain-wise.

What look are you going for?

If you are looking for a contrast I would go with a darker wood. I'm guessing you weren't looking to just save some money by using soemthing that looks similar. A Raised panel door made out of different wood might look nice but I really don't have enough experience on this matter and would worry about wood movement

Having more tools than I know how to use - Priceless!!!

One of the great things about woodworking is that "you" are the artist. I like the looks of maple mixed with walnut, I love the contrast and both are equally good looking woods. I would suggest, if available, go to a local lumber place or cabinet store and take the samples they have and put one against the other and see which really captures your eye.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quartersawn white oak and black walnut rrequently makes a nice combination, IMO. Not sure how it would look on kitchen cabinets though.

I dont think in a kitchen cabinet situation, there would be much that would go well with red oak. I'm a big fan of contrasting colored woods, but its very hard to get something to go well with high grain wood like oak (unless you are thinking quartersawn). Different color, very grained wood, with raised panels in a kitchen may get really "busy" in a bad way.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.