Thread: Sawstop fence accessories? General SS fence questions.

Sawstop fence accessories? General SS fence questions.

I will be purchasing a SS in the near future.
    I now have a Unisaw with a Vega fence. The Vega has some nice accessories I use: thin stock pusher, hold downs, anti kickback roller, etc.

Does anyone know if SS fence can use the accessories?

Are SS fence faces still non-replaceable, or has this changed? I see some older comments about slight gripes about plywood fence problems on SS, but haven't seen any recent comments.

Are fences on SS Pro and Industrial the same?

I have never used a Biesmeier type fence. Is there any micro adjust feature? I use the one on my Vega regularly. Is it something I won't miss?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

I don't know for certain, but I don't think you'll be able to use your Vega accessories.

The faces are replaceable. IIRC, the QC threshold on the fence faces is 0.01". Since they are 1/2" plywood, they can have fairly significant undulations. I believe the fence is the same on the PCS and ICS. Mine concaves in by about 0.008". Not the end of the world for most woodworking, but a little annoying.

There is no microadjust. You might miss it. The fence operates smoothly and locks down securely. However, my fence shifts exactly 0.01" towards the blade when locking down. This is an issue when positioning the fence using a setup block or workpiece.

If I were buying today I'd try to get the saw without the rails/fence and add an Incra TS-LS fence, which will get you all the micro-adjusting and repeatability your heart could desire. But that's because I'm an Incraholic and that system works very well for me.

Here is a link to the manual that shows setup and operation. Also has a parts breakdown. No dimensions, but should help answer your questions. The faces definitely are replaceable.

http://www.sawstop.com/documents/Professional%20T-Glide%20Fence%20System%20Owner's%20Manual%20(Dec%2 009%20-%20Rev6).pdf

Tim