Thread: Sealing PVC Ductwork Question

Sealing PVC Ductwork Question

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of installing some 6" S&D ductwork for the new cyclone. I intend on piecing the system together without cement. I only want to use caulk.

My question is do I put the caulk in the joint as I would the cement, then push the two parts together, or do I only seal the joint where the two parts meet?

Mark

Mark,

When installing my pipe, I too did not want to use cement. I wasn't confident that caulk alone would hold everything together. So I chose to use #6 x 3/8 sheetmetal screws to hold the joints together. I sealed most joints with aluminum foil duct tape and caulk where tape wasn't practical.

-Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used screws as well. I used small self-drilling auto trim screws that I got from a surplus hardware dealer at a local flea market. Make sure the screws you use are short enough that they don't stick too far into the pipe to prevent snags. I found that 1-2 screws at each joint created a strong mechanical connection. For sealing, definitely caulk after you are done. I caulked my first system as I assembled it, when we moved, it was, shall we say challenging, to get everything apart. I ususally ended up having to cut the pipe near the fitting, then chisel the pipe stub out of the fitting. At the new house, I caulked after everything was assembled. In one or two places, I decided to make changes and it was much easier to disassemble.

One other tip: If you use clear caulk it won't look messy.

Mark, on my last system (4" PVC), it was almost a duplicate of what Todd shows. Worked quite well. I envision that Matt's method would work equally as well and I echo what they say about NOT putting caulk on the joints prior to assembly. Even caulk will act like glue once set up, giving you a royal pain if any changes or disassembly is required.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thank you gentlemen. The Creek and all the members here have saved me from so many mistakes. I has going to put caulk in the joints. I'm glad I asked first. I'm off to the Borg for some screws and tape.

Mark

If the joints are pressed together snugly, I would not use any screws, as they are not necessary. You will only need to use tub & tile caulk (which will stay flexible) around the OUTSIDE of the joints, and then use a wet cloth to remove Almost All of the caulk, leaving only a VERY THIN line of caulk at the joint. This very thin line will not only seal any leakage, but will also hold the joints together, yet be very easy to remove by running an exacto knife around the joint, should you need to open up the joints.

Screws pose two potential problems; 1. if they extend inside the pipe, there is a possibility of "Catching" material & possibly causing a jam, and 2. with age and vibration, they can contribute to Cracking of the "Collar and or pipe".

the other option is to just wrap the heavy duty aluminum foil tape around the joint (one layer), and that will both seal it and hold the joints in place.

You will get a more snug fit of the joint pieces if you rotate one piece you are pushing them together.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 03-12-2005 at 5:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta
    Thank you gentlemen.
    Mark
    "Gentlemen"???? Nuts! Todd & Matt, looks like he's talking to YOU guys!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Hi Mark. When I "hung" my PVC pipe, I pushed the joints together and used ONE small sheet metal screw though the joint to give some mechanical strength to the joint. I then dressed each joint with PL brand window and door urethane caulking. The white color blends in with the color of the PVC. To clean up the joint, just use a shop towel with a little mineral spirits on it. It does a great job. After about a week, the caulk is cured. It is strong, but retains some elasticity. The "PL" company are the same people who market the PL-300 construction adhesive, good stuff.

BTW, for PVC pipe hanger, I cut up Rubber maid shelf standards into one foot lengths. I screwed them to the wall, and put a single 8" shelf support on the standard. No need to tie the pipe down, it is heavy enough to stay in place by itself. I ran all my piping along the wall, up high, or in my floor "ditch."
    Best Regards, Ken

Plastic or metal, foil tape is the way to go, IMHO. Works great and even adds strength to the joint. I only have pop rivets in my system at high-stress points...everything else is purely the tape.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We'll now that I'm back from the Borg with the screws I think I just go with the tape only method. Maybe one or two at the high stress areas. Thanks again gentlemen and John.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta
    We'll now that I'm back from the Borg with the screws I think I just go with the tape only method. Maybe one or two at the high stress areas. Thanks again gentlemen and John.

Mark
    Mark, you may find yourself using the screws mainly on the transitional joints, like between the PVC and blast gates or stepdown adapters. As long as they're not sticking way into the airway, you should be fine. I ran the 4" with a fair amount of screws and no problems for close to two years. Good luck and enjoy your cleaner/healthier environment!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Mark, on my last system (4" PVC), it was almost a duplicate of what Todd shows. Worked quite well. I envision that Matt's method would work equally as well and I echo what they say about NOT putting caulk on the joints prior to assembly. Even caulk will act like glue once set up, giving you a royal pain if any changes or disassembly is required.
    Even the foil tape is a royal pain to disassemble and clean up! No matter what you use to seal up the joints that does a good job, it will be work to disassemble them. John gave me some of his 4 inch set up. I think it took me longer to get the foil tape off, than it did to run the pipes! It was all worth it though!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"