Thread: Delta drill press table tilt problem.

Delta drill press table tilt problem.

I have a Delta model 17-900 16-1/2 inch drill press, floor model. It has had very light use, no mishaps and it works fine but I'm having a problem trying to correct the tilt of the table.

Under the table there is a pin that is supposed to hold the table perfectly perpendicular to the spindle. My table is not quite perpendicular to the spindle so I'm trying to remove the pin to see why.

But I can't get the pin out. The manual says the pin should come out. Strangely, the end of the pin you're supposed to grip has threads on it, just like a bolt. There is a nut on the bolt end and the instructions say to turn the nut to help get the pin out.

I've turned the nut exactly as the instructions say. The nut has traveled out along the bolt/pin and the bolt/pin is turning along with the nut and nothing is happening. I've even tried to grip the end of the bolt with visegrips and pull it straight out but it won't budge.

I understand the purpose of the pin (to hold the table perpendicular to the spindle) but everything else about the pin makes no sense. How is the pin supposed to come out, by being pulled straight out? Why are there threads on the end of the pin you're supposed to grip?

If any of you have gotten this pin to work properly please enlighten me.

Thanks.

The pin on my 17-950 is all but useless to align anything. There's so much slop that it may as well not even be there. I believe yours is a better fit...I hope it is anyhow as mine is absolutely pathetic.

Have you loosened the table? It might just be jammed in there and the table needs to be loosened to free it up. I think the end of the pin still extends into the mount when the bolt is completely threaded out, so it may still be jammed. Loosen the big nut, give everything a good wiggle, and that pin should come out. The only reason the nut it there is to pull a stubborn pin out, I believe.

Tom, this is a WAG, as I have no hands on with that model. It was released to production about the same time I was released from employment. Judging from the exploded art, and a lot of experience with Delta systems in general, would tightening the nut not pull the pin from it's recess?
    Again, it just a guess, but p'raps worth a try...
    Mick

John's right - it's useless. It might have been a good idea, but poorly executed. Put the nut back on and drive it clockwise with a wrench or nutdriver until it starts turning the pin. That should break it loose so you can wiggle it out. Then leave it out. FWIW it's not that unusual. I think half the machines in my shop have (or had) a similarly useless / silly part.
    - Tom

Both of mine, Jet and Delta, both have these goofy pins. My thought is that they were used for shipping and need to be removed before use. Maybe stated in instructions.