Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to do with old bandsaw blades

Smile what to do with old bandsaw blades

So, I had a little incident while resawing some bowl blanks- the blank got away, and twisted my 1" Timber wolf resaw blade. I now have 159 1/2 inches of surplus hooked steel. I only have a need for so many scratch awls and scorers so I thought I would ask the creek at large for some ideas on what to do with all the leftover steel!

all ideas (creative, useless, crazy and whimsical) welcome

Mike

Hang the blade upside down from the ceiling so the gullets face up. Now drape your homemade spaghetti over the teeth to dry.

a saw blade 1 inch wide will made a good letter opener
    if you own a lathe this blade will be handy for cutting wood off and for marker lines on turnings

Cut the blade into about 12" long strips. Band these together, alternating the teeth pattern. NOW, you have a nice rasp. How you place a handle on this rasp, is up to you.

Maybe you have a friend with a smaller saw...could be re-welded at a smaller length to fit.

The thicker ones make good fillet knife blades.

You don't even need to cut the blade to make a rasp. Just fold it in a zig-zag. Duct tape makes a good handle.

Edited a typo.

A shop tips magazine I got from WOOD suggested using old bandsaw blades as a place for finishing projects. Placed on a bench with the teeth up, and the fewer teeth the better. I think the idea was that only the points contacted the work and made it easy to finish with as little marring as possible. It seems to me though that this idea would mar the wood pretty good, but WOOD didn't seem to think so. Personally I wouldn't do this, but you also said to include useless and crazy ideas, so here it is. LOL

Save it. When you ruin part of another blade you can piece the two together.

A short length with the teeth ground off, set in a wood handle makes a great thin kerf parting tool for lathe work........Rod.

Cut you off a piece or two. Attach them to a board and use them to rip sandpaper for different sanders.

Don't forget to cut them in 12" +-, gang 4 pieces (5 if ya want), alternate the teeth, tape the ends with duct tape (I also dip the taped ends in plastic coat like the stuff used on tool handles), and use the tool to clean/fluff the cloth wheels on my power polishing device.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

You do have a smaller saw right... everyone needs multiple bandsaws. If not somebody close could probably make use of it for their saw.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

When I was a kid my brother and I would un-solder radiator caps and bases and use 3' lengths of small band saw blades to rod out the radiator tubes, re-solder the cap and base and the radiator worked like new. Those days are gone pretty much due to plastic radiators on modern vehicles.
    David B

Build a frame saw and cut like Roy Underhill.