Thread: Leaky alkaline batteries?

Leaky alkaline batteries?

Is it just me, or are alkaline batteries leaking more these days?

I only use Duracell and Energizer. In the last month I've found four devices with leaky batteries. A remote control for a stereo in the shop, a calculator, a label printer, and an LED flashlight.Prior to this, I can't remember the last time I had a leaky battery.

Yes, they are leaking sooner than I remember, made cheaper.

I have a very expensive light meter that takes 2 different batteries. I don't dare leave batteries in the meter because of leaking batteries. I have had to clean the corrosion off of the contacts twice. I only use copper top batteries and was shocked that they leaked. Now do not leave batteries in any thing except flashlights that I use for emergency lighting during power failures.
    David B

Battery companies 'used' to advertise that if their batteries leaked and ruined your 'whatever' they would replace it no charge. But I guess today, the 'whatevers' can be worth a small fortune, so the battery makers keep a low profile. But, I'll bet if you complained loud enough you would get some action and your property replaced.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I believe that was "Ray o Vack Haven't seen that brand for a while

I began to see that issue, since then I have replaced just about every battery with rechargable ones. On some devices I haven't broke even yet but on several I have saved probably double what I would have spent. The only issue now is I am beginning to get failed rechargables but I haven't had one leak yet. One thing I like is never having to scavange batteries when I am out since I keep a couple of extra sets of each and only have to remember to replace them when the odd set fails.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.