Thread: another sign- to go with a wood gloat - passed 100 hours on my Carvewright

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

another sign- to go with a wood gloat - passed 100 hours on my Carvewright

Well.. to make a long story short, the other day my kids' old kindergarten teacher (who teaches my oldest's odyssey of the mind) emailed and put me onto a freecycle lead for some "exotic wood"- with price of FREE & Needless to say, I was dubious but made the call.

I was very pleasantly surprised to meet a lovely elderly woman named Carol who gave me some wood that she knew was better than the burnpile in which it had ended. (her father was in the forestry service in the early 20th century and she and I had a lovely discussion of different woods, their uses, and forestation/deforestation of the great plains) She let me at the wood pile with instructions to "leave the junk doug fir and pine but take the good stuff" I loaded my truck with the dirt and pack rat poo covered timbers and thanked her profusely for what I suspected lay beneath the silvery facade. She just laughed and said that the menfolk had laughed when she said a woodworker would want it... but she was right...

Before, (don't let it fool you... she knew EXACTLY what she was talking about)

After a little planing...mesquite, walnut (including an 8/4 x 50 x 11 piece), teak (yes... TEAK...), maple, cherry, lots of mahogany with VERY tight grain, and lots of ash, hickory, and oak

Many of these (which became visable after a brushing) were marked with the species and size as though fresh from a lumberyard Others were obviously home sawmill made--but gorgeous nonetheless.

At any rate, I digress.... she was a lovely lady and her hobby is ferret rescue. As a thank you, I made her this sign today out of one of the pieces of wood. (Mesquite)... oh yeah... and during the carve I FINALLY surpassed the 100 hour mark on my machine

Anyway, this is what I came up with as a thank you for her-- it is from a piece of mesqute she gave me and was, of course, made on my Carvewright

The ferret model came from a standard picture-- I'm quite proud of how it turned out as it was quite a bit of work to get it right.

Anyway, as always, thanks for looking
    Lawrence

Nice work Lawrence. It appears you're progressing in skill with that thing...

I'm envious. Even though I have daily access to the Komo, I still get to use ArtCAM very little.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Lawrence,

Congratulations on the wood score and that's a fine looking sign.

Great Wood Score too.... Good Job !!!!! and also 100 plus hours on your CarveWright... (digitalwoodshop on CW)

I just found a neighbor business that is processing barn beams... I need to pay them a visit... Since the ideal length for the CW is 3 to 6 feet... They might not find value in that Tight Grain Old Growth Wood..... The outside edges with defects... Worth a visit...

Thanks to a Sawmill Creek Ad I have the perfect mix of tools to dimension the wood... A Bucks County PA Thickness Sander enjoying a new home for the past few years.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 02-04-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

That sign came out great!

A very nice gesture!

The sign looks great, I'm sure she will love it.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3