Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anone notice lathe prices are rocketing?

Blog Entries

Anone notice lathe prices are rocketing?

I bought my JET 1442vs for $850.00 in 2006, here we are 5 years later and the same lathe is almost twice the price. I noticed this when I recently traded for another 1442vs. Anyone else have a price history like this for their lathe? Seems like a drastic price increase for such a short period of time.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

In 2004, paid $600.00 for my Jet 1442, sold it for $800.00 in 2006. In 2006, paid $1500.00 for my Jet 1642 2hp, sold it for $1800.00 in 2010. Bought a Oneway after that and later in 2010 paid $220.00 for a unused Jet Mini with stand. Just missed a three year old Oneway 1224 for $1000.00.
    Last edited by John Fabre; 01-03-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Bill
    It's not just lathes all woodworking machines prices have just sky rocketed in the last 5 to 7 years. Lathes have been one that it shows in more cause turning has grow so much in the last 8 to 10 years. The original Jet mini 10-14 was $199.00 when it came out it's now $499.99. and the lathe has NO changes. Everything is going up every day and there killing anyone with a hobby.My wife does Stain Glass and you talk about crazy prices I paid $599.99 for a glass saw thats only a 3" High by 8" throat with wet blade. I also have a small metal shop in my wood shop to work on tools.4 years ago I bought a mini-mill and end mills have more the doubled from most manufactures.
    My retirement doesn't go up but everything else does. Sorry for the rant just a sour note with me.
    Oh Ya I'm hearing some talk of a possible price raise coming in the late winter early spring again.
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 01-03-2012 at 1:15 AM. Reason: fix wording
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fabre View Post
    In 2004, paid $600.00 for my Jet 1442, sold it for $800.00 in 2006. In 2006, paid $1500.00 for my Jet 1642 2hp, sold it for $1800.00 in 2010. Bought a Oneway after that and later in 2010 paid $220.00 for a unused Jet Mini with stand. Just missed a three year old Oneway 1224 for $1000.00.
    I always tell myself "it's o.k. to spend money on woodturning" and your figures show it's better to buy lathes than have money in the bank!!

have you folks noticed that the price of steel has went throught the ceiling. They are stealing AC units from Churches just to get the scrap metal.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

The price of everything is up and rising. Scrap steel is actually down a tad, but Gary is correct, people are stripping & stealing anything they can. Here, churches as well are being hit as well as any house listed as for sale. Prices should jump again now that its the "new year".....dont even look at your grocery bill. My chicken feed has gone from $9 to $16 per bag.....good thing I grow supplemental feed.

Sales will help, discount codes etc. Buy saavy thats for sure!

Heck Ken a jar of peanut butter is up 40% in the last 6 months. You are correct about everything jumping in price.

A couple years ago, the scrapyard guy told me that China is buying up all the scrap metals, by the boatload, literally. Apparently, copper, steel and aluminum are going to be going up for a while, or until they all have SUVs, like us Americans. He even mention that they were driving up prices of the rare earth metals(think magnets).

Last time that I sold some aluminum cans, $9 worth IIRC. I had to back in my Tacoma pickup so they could photograph my license plate at the scale. When I went to the cashier, they scanned my fingerprint, per city ordinance. For $9. There was also a sign that they wouldn't buy any wire, metal roofing, or other materials that appeared "new" (i.e. stolen), no A/C units from unlicensed individuals, no utility wire(telephone or electric power cable) and about a dozen other things people must be stealing.

On a more local note, I just bought a new house last year. It was a model home, foreclosed on when the builder went bankrupt. Both A/C units have the builders name spraypainted on them with a stencil logo. There is a small cedar fence built around the units, as well. Seems like the builder had some stolen from him too.

Th value of scrap seems to be a growing problem. I just hope they don't go after hardwoods next

Have you priced any 12/3 wire recently-----copper is jumping compared to gold. Think about the wiring for a lathe motor and the power cords. Someone gets to pay for the added cost.

True that. With rising energy costs, the cost of steel production has soared. Someone told me about the camelcamelcamel.com website (I have no idea where they got that name...), where you can see a price history of a lot of products. For example, type "jet lathe" in the search window, pick your lathe and see what's happened over the past year. You can subscribe to updates on your product, so if a sale crops up, you'll get notified.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

I had the $$ for my 1642 for about 5 months before I bought it, but was hoping for a Black Friday sale. Saved enough on the lathe to get my Grizzly 0555. Price is up on both since then! It pays to shop around and wait for the right moment.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    This is what starts the mind set that we should buy crap that is disposable VS quality that lasts. Unfortunately the crap ends up being more expensive in the end. In 2005 I bought a Plasma tv for $4500.00 it lasted 6 years. It's now cheaper to buy a new one for less than it takes to fix the old one. My old top of the line tube tv lasted 12 years and was true quality.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 01-03-2012 at 3:10 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Even us cheap boys are getting clobbered. My HF 34706 set me back $175.00 in early 2009. Current sale prices with the 20% coupon put it at $212.00. Not a ton more money, but hey, that's most of the way to the HSS chisel set!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

14. This thread has made my day. Now I can tell the wife I better not wait on a larger lathe and larger bandsaw. If I wait I will have to pay more lol.

Price (to buy) scrap steel around here is 35 cents a pound...about 8-10 cents to sell. I picked up 263 lbs (to weigh down my lathe) today...cost me $97.
    I drink, therefore I am.