Thread: Are all Sandpapers created equal ??

Question Are all Sandpapers created equal ??

Looking for experiences and recommendations on purchasing sheet sandpaper for general use and use on a 1/4 sheet sander. I usually buy from the local borg, who carries different brands almost every time I buy.

What kind (and brands) of papers have you had the best results from, cuts well, doesn't clog easily, lasts for more than a few minutes.

I've purchased ROS and OSS papers from Klingspor's before, found them to be a better deal than buying locally but not convinced they are that much better quality.

Not looking to start a war here, but a good skirmish would be OK!
    Tony

I love using the Norton 3X in all grits. Lasts a long time and a flick of the finger clears the paper to start again.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Try the bargain box

I get my paper from Klingspors in the bargain box. They sell 'em by the 10 or 20 pound box. I bought a 10 pound box over two years ago and I've hardly put a dent in it. I got a very good variety of types and grits, including rolls that I could custom cut for my drum sander. The only drawback is that it didn't include any discs for my random orbital sander. I've never worried about how long the paper lasts, because I have so much, I just grab new pieces frequently.

They aren't all created equal. I bought some wet dry from harbor freight and it is miserable to use. I do alot of turning and if you rip a sheet the edge just leaves a mess on the work. Doesn;t take a fold too well either. I have been using carborundum and I love it. I can fold the sheet and the crease goes away when I unfold it. I bought it from a vendor but I have seen stuff called corborundum from harbor freight but I don't know if the quality is the same.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

When I need something extra tough I use 3m, it's the best I've run into but you pay for it. For the price I've been using klingspor Stearate PSA disks and have good luck with it not clogging up on soft resinous woods, tried a few other brands without luck. I have been using the Nortons for wet sanding without any problems as long as I use lots of water, haven't tried it other then for that purpose though.

I also use the Norton 3x. I just think it cuts better and lasts longer.

Bob

I use Klingspor for discs for the ROS, and belts for the widebelt and edge sander. Use Norton for sheets. Both are of excellent quality.

Thumbs up Thanks All.........

I ordered a Bargain Box from Klingspors last evening, will look for the Norton 3X locally and see which I like best.
    Tony

For the (thankfully few ) times that I can't use one of my Festool sanders and Festool paper, I prefer Norton 3X.

3M purple for beltsanders, Mirka or Festool discs for ROS, Norton sheets Klingspoor 3" rools w/psa for contours and sanding blocks.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I use Norton 3X and love it! It cuts very well and lasts at least 3 times longer than anything else I've come across.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

For sanding back a finish such as shellac, the 3M #216 fre-cut is tops in my book. It just does not load.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Got my 20 lb bargain box from Klingspors today, That's a LOAD of Sandpaper !! Nice even distribution of grits, plenty of 120, 150, 180, 220. had a moderate amount of heavy 50 - 60 - 80 grit just enough but not too much. Don't recall seeing any 100 but I may have missed it. Couple packs of 5" ros H&L, some 1" rolls and some H&L detail sander pads.

All GOOD usable stuff -- no odd shapes, no tiny pieces.

Also, got a good assortment of Norton 3X from Hartville tool -- in the 20 sheet pack it is not that expensive (cheaper than buying three packs at the borg). So now I can test, see what I like best -- it'll be a while before I'll be ordering sandpaper again !!
    Tony

A really good thread! I never have seen sandpaper offered like Klingspor and think this is a fantastic idea.

I just finished placing my order for a 20# bargin box. This seems like the way to go for sure.

Thanks for the tip.