Thread: Painting an exterior door

Painting an exterior door

Not sure if this is appropriate to post. Did some searching but could not find a definitive answer:

What is the best primer/paint to use on exterior doors?

The doors are fiberglass, made to look like wood. They are unprimed and unpainted. I live in NJ and get temps from 0 deg in winter to 100 in the summer. It'll probably get about 7 hours sunlight/day.

Any help appreciated.

Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 has always worked well for me.
    Howie.........

What about the top paint coat, Howie? What's yr preferred brand/type?

I recently did my front door. From what I was told any primer with shellac in it is not suitable for outdoor use. Seems it can crack and peel with temperature changes. A shame because I love the BIN shellac based primer.
    I scuff sanded and used Valspar Duramax from Lowe's with no primer. The paint is very thick with pigment solids and covered nicely. As for durability I can only say that it still looks good after almost a month ).

i'd go to the therma-tru site and see what they say. their fiberglass doors are first rate. i'll be following their finishing instructions when i finish mine.

+1 on Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. That's my "go to" primer, except for special cases where I need a shellac-based primer (although usually I just use a dewaxed shellac followed by Bulls Eye 1-2-3).

Therma tru: That's the door I have. I looked at their website; they simply say use a 'high quality' primer and paint.

So, the question is, What brand of paint do you guys like for an exterior door?
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-05-2012 at 3:54 PM.

I'd visit a Sherwin-Williams store and see what they had say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 has always worked well for me.
    Interesting about Zinsser. I found it to be too thick which made it quite difficult to work with on my frame and panel doors. Switched to Killz2 and was much happier.

Blog Entries
    I painted our new door with Rust-o-leum Door Paint SRDopBlkQtL.jpg It is made for metal or fiberglass doors and one coat will do the job. I used a 6" roller and the finish turned out like a factory spray job. I plan to use it on out front door which is starting to fade. Incidently the door I painted is south facing and gets full sun for half the day. I bought the paint at one of the local borgs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You did not mention your budget. Are you painting over dark fiberglass door? What color are you going to paint?

Good paint will cost around $50-60 gallon. With the raw materials demand the prices are continuing to go up.
    I would pay more for better coverage.
    But ever manufacturer has a low grade, medium grade, and high.

Benjamin Moore is my favorite
    Their exterior premium are Moorglo, Aura, and their newest paint Regal Select.
    Aura has a learning curve to apply. It will start to tack in 30 minutes. Coverage is excellent. But expensive : around $60 gallon
    Moorglo is good paint.

I haven't try the select yet. I was told its the same as Moorglo paint line.

My parents installed a new fiberglass back door last summer. My father used PPG Automotive paint for use on fiberglass and sprayed it on. Primer, to color coats and a number 2 clear coat (soft and flexible, the scale is 1-5 soft to hard). It's the same paint we use on the fiberglass body work for out competition go-karts.