Thread: Saw Handle: Wood Selection

Saw Handle: Wood Selection

I'm playing with the idea of making a full-sized ripsaw. I'd like to use stainless steel sawnuts and then some very dark and lustrous wood for a strong contrast between the handle and the plate/nuts. I'm thinking wood criteria (in rough order of importance) would be something like:

- Moderate or better stability
    - Not brittle, able to take a few drops/dings
    - Not too open-pored
    - Dark brown or red, or black

And of course it has to come from a tree that produces chunks of wood 6" x 6" or more. My current thoughts are:

- Wenge
    - Hunt for an especially dark piece of walnut
    - Possible padauk

If I can't find anything natively dark enough for my taste, would there be any issues with taking beech or hard maple and ebonizing it?

Rosewood is always nice.

I know Walnut is probably considered too soft by some for this purpose, but I made a Walnut handle for a back saw I use for rough work and have used it extensively for the last couple years, I think Walnut is great as a saw handle wood. It will give you the dark look you are after and you will probably save a bunch compared to some exotic choices. Not sure why open pored would be an issue to be concerned about. If I was going to stain something to create a dark look, I'd go with Oak or maple. Both are easy to acquire in the thickness of your choice and have excellent finishability.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.