Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to try a Veritas Bevel Up Smoother?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who wants to try a Veritas Bevel Up Smoother?

That's right. I have a Veritas bevel up smoother that I'm willing to ship to someone to take for a test drive. Why? Because I don't use it very much. Why? Because I don't build furniture...I build guitars. Back when I thought I built furniture, I got it as a gift, but we've all decided ("all" being me and my wife) that I don't have the time to build any furniture anymore because it's distracting me from my actual day job, i.e. building guitars. This particular plane just doesn't get much use in my shop and it's a shame, because it's a heck of a nice smoothing plane.

So this thing is taking up space and I want it out of my shop....but I like it FAR too much to sell it!

I will ship it to the first person to ask for it. Use it, sharpen it, abuse it...it's a tool...it should stand up to some abuse. I already broke the tote and sloppily glued it back together. Whatever. When you're done, post here and send it off to the next guy that wants to try it. Just keep me in the loop as to it's whereabouts. I believe in the good nature of most people, and I believe in putting my money where my mouth is.

So who wants to try this thing?

John,
    I've already got a couple of awesome smoothers, but I just wanted to say I think it's great that you're willing to share a good tool with a fellow woodworker. Mahalo!

Hey John,

If no one else has volunteered yet, I would love to have the chance to use your plane. I'm thinking of getting the low angle jack so it would be great to test this one out,

Thank you,

Jonas

Again with this John? Pretty cool! It would be fun if this became a regular thing that any number of people decide to do. Be careful, this kind of generosity and fellowship is contagious. I'd actually love to send something of mine around, but don't have any extras/things I don't use/or multiples - hopefully that will change someday.

There are so many tools that we don't get to try before we buy, so it's such a great thing to have someone be willing to send theirs around. Looks like Jonas beat me to the punch. Oh well, I'll jump on it later.

That's the spirit!
    Good man.

Jim
    Westport, MA

And the winners are:

Gary Viggers
    Bill Clark De
    Jonas Baker.

All please send me your address. I will mail it out to Gary. When he's done, it goes to Bill and then Jonas...and then to whoever else

Blog Entries
    I have an idea that Rob Lee is also in favor of your generosity. After this makes the rounds, I'd be curious how many BU planes he may sell as a result of your goodwill.

I want to simply applaud your generosity. I appreciate what you are doing. Thank you. -Howard

I have toyed with purchasing one of these for a long time, but have been very hesitant to do so without giving one a try. Silly me, I should have tried one at WIA 2011, but there were so many things to try there :-)

I would love to be added to the bottom list to give this a try.

Andrew Pitonyak

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    And the winners are:

Gary Viggers
    Bill Clark De
    Jonas Baker.

All please send me your address. I will mail it out to Gary. When he's done, it goes to Bill and then Jonas...and then to whoever else
    Guess I picked the right night to stay up late

Thanks, John. I'll PM my address.

John, ditto on the comments re being gracious and generous.

BTW, I don't suppose you have an extra car or yacht that are taking up too much space, because if you do I am sure we can put together another list.

That is pretty cool idea. I have had that very plane now for a year. Actually it is the only plane I own to date. However, I use it every time I am in the shop. Some day I may get another type of plane but for right now I sure enjoy useing this one.

John,
    I have the LN 164 so I won't need to take a turn but just wanted to say this has to be one of the coolest threads ever posted! You're clearly one of the good guys in the world.
    cheers
    Pat

John, PM sent.

Chuck

No idea where we are on the list, but whoever is currently last, I am officially adding my name just below yours.