Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to try a Veritas Bevel Up Smoother?

Hi, Robert. I'm sorry, but I decided to end this with Dwight. I needed to get it back at some point to use it myself so I had to draw a line somewhere. I'll probably send it out again at some point, though, since it seems like a popular game, and you'll be first on the list. In the meantime, I'd love to see your luthier workbench

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    So the current list, after Chris, is

Bill (I put you back on after Chris...you waited long enough)
    Joe
    Nathan
    Maurice

This time I'm going to try and pay more attention and keep it to about 2 weeks or so.
    So the current list is now:
    Nathan (will have it in a couple of days)
    Maurice
    Chuck
    Dwight

It looks like Chuck contacted me some months ago and I accidentally forgot to add him. I'm going to stick you before Dwight, Chuck. Sorry, Dwight, but he got to me back in January and I just forgot to add him.

Great John
    I'll show off the luthier workbench when I get it fixed up a little bit. Other wise I'll have to explain how I broke it. No one wants to here about that.
    Thanks RCT

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    So the current list is now:
    Nathan (will have it in a couple of days)
    Maurice
    Chuck
    Dwight

It looks like Chuck contacted me some months ago and I accidentally forgot to add him. I'm going to stick you before Dwight, Chuck. Sorry, Dwight, but he got to me back in January and I just forgot to add him.
    Hi John,

No apology necessary. I'm happy to have the chance to try out the plane, and later is just as good as sooner.

Take care,

Dwight

Maurice: You're up next. We all know the drill..... Maurice, you send your name, address and phone# to myself and Nathan, and Nathan will finish up and mail it out to you.

Sent you both PMs. Looking forward to giving this a spin!
    Maurice

7. Maurice the plane is on its way to you. Enjoy!

It arrived yesterday, but I won't be able to play with it until tomorrow night. Have to head out overnight for a friend's wedding. Plan on testing it out on some maple cutting boards first, then some SYP and some mahogany.
    Maurice

So update: Maurice is passing it on to Chuck. That means that after Chuck there's only one guy left and then it will go back to it's owner....who appears will be Maurice LOL.

My many thanks go out to John for being generous in allowing us all to partake in this sharing experience. This has been an eye opener for me, as I have a Veritas 4 1/2, and really enjoy the mass it brings to the party. I like a heavy smoother, and when comparing the BU Smoother to the 4 1/2, the results were hair splittingly similar, with regard to the chips produced. I operation, the BU Smoother, with it's low center of gravity, seems to sail through the wood. The result is a heavy smoother with less effort needed to push it.

I tried out both planes in three different woods: Southern yellow pine; maple; and, mahogany. For me, anyway, the results were consistant across the three species of wood - same fine shavings, but with less effort to push the BU Smoother. I'm looking forward to getting it back. This time, for good!
    Maurice

Did Chuck ever get back to you, Maurice? If not, let's get this show on the road and get it to Dwight. Since we'll need it anyway, Dwight, please be so kind as to send Maurice and myself your address and phone number.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 08-07-2012 at 2:01 PM.

Chuck received it on 1 August. He indicated to me that he would turn it around in a week, if not sooner. Dwight, you need to swap info with Chuck, John, and myself.
    Maurice

Well, it is with a bittersweet satisfaction that it's time to bring this to a close. During the 9 months this plane has been out of my shop, I've discovered that I don't miss this plane one bit for the kind of work I do (not really a flat surface in sight in my shop!)....and Maurice fell in love with it...so Maurice, please give Chuck all of your info as the plane is heading back to you, assuming you still want it.

Amazingly enough, this plane has travelled thousands and thousands of miles, over the better part of a year, and passed through many hands without one hiccup or problem. In fact, many of the recipients only had a couple of posts and were pretty much unknown to our little community. It kind of affirms my initial guess that people are generally good

John, many thanks go out to you for being such a such a good host, and offering generously of your time and tools. Thanks again! Chuck and I will correspond.
    Maurice

John, yours is the gift that keeps on giving! Maurice stopped by my shop today and he was kind enough to bring your (former) bevel up smoother along for me to try out. WOW - what a great tool! One of these is definitely going on the Christmas list.

My thanks to both you you for sharing the opportunity to try out this wonderful tool.

Scott