Thread: CNC Routing - Laptop Desk

CNC Routing - Laptop Desk

We found the time today to use our ShopBot to make a desk for the laptop computer we use to run the CNC ShopBot router.

The first picture is Aaron sitting at our temporary table running the ShopBot files that are cutting the new desk. The desk is cut from one sheet of plywood and has finger joints that allow it to be disassembled and reassembled as necessary. There are wedges that are driven into the joints to tighten them.

The second picture is the desk after rough assembly to check the fit. The long pieces sticking out are the wedges which we slipped into the joints, they won't be driven in tight untill the desk is stained, edge routed and then final assembly.
    Total routing time start to finish was 45 minutes.

I'll post another picture of our shop computer desk as soon as it is completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You better be careful...that thing could start creating its own shop and leave you out of the picture entirely!!

Seriously, that's a great tool. Nice job on the desk/cabinet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's what you need for doing dovetails on those big boards Jim!

That thing looks like to much fun!

Jim,

We are really pleased with the ShopBot, it is very a versitile machine but the learning curve is still uphill and will be for another year I guess. We are collecting ShopBot part files from others and learning when time allows. We have a full size plan for Santa's sleigh and eight reindeer so we will be very busy in November cutting Christmas decorations. We have had great success cutting sign blanks and have tried vcarve routing text that is really nice as well.

The last two weekends we have been cleaning my workshop, several years of commercial projects have taken their toll, not to mention having to rework the layout to accomodate the ShopBot which has such a large footprint we lost almost all of our work space. I think one more weekend of putting up shelves and reorganizing should get the shop in order again.

Possibly the combination of the ShopBot and Aaron's computer experience might just put me out to pasture in the near future, or maybe I will become a marketing type very soon

Hey Keith,

What kind of edge sander is that back by Aaron in the 1st pic? I've been looking for something like that.

Mark,

The 6" by 80" no name edge sander is a cheapo I bought at one of the traveling tool shows, Homeir I think. In spite of it having a very low price tag ($250.00) the sander is really a nice machine, I couldn't live without it after using it for the last couple of months. I agonized over purchasing such a cheap tool which I normally don't do because I learned over the years that it isn't normally the best choice. I figured that since it was such a simple machine any problems would be easy to correct so I took the chance. Fortunately it works really well, belt tracking is easy to adjust and it stays put. Any tool that takes up floor space in my shop has to earn its keep or it will be out the door in a flash. The edge sander is definately a keeper.

Grizzly has a similar machine in their catalog.