Thread: Cabinet Building Classes

Cabinet Building Classes

I was hoping somebody could give me some contacts of people teaching cabinet making. I bought an old farm house that needs kitchen cabinets and I would like to build them myself.
    Your help is appreciated.

Scott.....Welcome to the 'Creek! There are other members here more knowledgeable than I about cabinetmaking classes that will reply to your thread. IIRC there is a good school in Indiana and some others east of you! Again......Welcome to the 'Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Scott -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

There are plenty of folks here who should be able to give you some recommendations about classes. There should be some adult education classes available at you local junior college or even high school.

Cabinets are not that hard to build. What woodworking experience do you have? There are several good books discussing the subject that will get you on your way. Danny Proulx's book is one that comes to mind (although I can't remember the title right now. Taunton Press has an outstanding series on working with wood that will give you an "inside view" of cabinet construction.

Welcome,
    Ted

Thank you for your reply.
    My woodworking skills would be best classified as beginner / intermediate. I have had some experience but would prefer to get it right without wasting too much expensive stock.
    thank you again for your help.

Is there a Woodcraft nearby? That's how I got started and it was a fantastic two weekend high level class. It was there that tied everything together for me. Things like building the carcas, making (and attaching) the face frame, then building and attaching the doors....

Or

Another options it to seek out a local woodworking club for someone to coach you through this project. I've helped others with projects and I'm sure there are those in local clubs who can coach you through.

Or

Local High Schools often have vocational classes. My first woodworking training was at a local High School in an evening program.

Good luck...

Joe in Valrico... a nice place where the nearest suburb is Tampa....

I suggest that you start with one of the "standard" books on kitchen cabinets. They are pretty straightforward, so if you recognize the techniques the book calls for, and can do them dead-on straight and square, you are ready to go. If you feel uncomfortable with the techniques suggested in the book, then (and only then) would I look for the woodworking class.

IMHO the biggest issue will be accuracy. If you can work absolutely square, straight, and precise, this stuff is easy. If you consider a case that is 1/4 inch out of square "good enough" you will find kitchen cabinets very hard, since they won't fit together. If you are installing cabinets in an old house, there will be enough challenges attaching the cabinets to walls that are not straight and square, without having to fudge the cabinets also.