Thread: ? on dado planes(with a hidden agenda gloat)

? on dado planes(with a hidden agenda gloat)

I got a 3/4" dado plane(the gloat) at a nice price(gloat #2) and in great shape(gloat #3) . Anyway, for cross grain dados, how do you guys use a fence setup for a 90* angle? I tried using scrap and clamps, but it gets in the way of my hands. If you could please, post pictures of your setup. I'd post pictures of the plane, but the d-cam batteries are dead. Maybe tommorrow you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Kline
    Anyway, for cross grain dados, how do you guys use a fence setup for a 90* angle? I tried using scrap and clamps, but it gets in the way of my hands.

Hi Aaron:

First, I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Your plane does not have an integral fence, is that correct? I want to make sure that you in fact have a dado plane, as opposed to a rabbet (rebate) or a plow plane. This highly gloatable tool, does it have one or more cross grain nickers? That's one of the hallmark features of a true dado plane.

Assuming that your plane does not have a fence, I'm guessing that when you say that your hands get in the way when you use clamps and scrap wood for a 90 degree fence, you're using a narrow scrap. You need something large, like a piece of 3/4" plywood with at least one true edge, that you can clamp well away from the path of the plane. Say something like 10" x 18".

I've also clamped a framing square to my work piece, but you have to be really careful starting the dado, because you only have the thickness of the square for the plane to register against, at least until you start getting some depth.

Aside from the fact that I find hand placement with these old planes a little awkward in general, the clamped plywood arrangement works well for me.

The other thing I would add is that if you're finding it difficult in general to clamp things to your work bench, that is merely the Neanderthal gods informing you that you need some hold fasts.
    Marc

Yes, it is a true double nicker dado plane. I'll try the idea with plywood sometime. And yes, the neander gods are right, I need holdfasts, but until the neander gods send me money, it'll just have to wait a while Thanks

How about a guide with an intregral clamp like a Tru-Grip Clamp-N-Tool? There are lots guides like this out there. It seems like everybody make ones.

Wendell