Thread: Big Leaf Maple burl HF

Big Leaf Maple burl HF

Hey All,
    Here is an elevated Big Leaf Maple Burl Hollow form I recently finished for a client. Wait, I should have said a HF on a stick. First of all, I had a smaller diameter Finial and Pedestal made, but the client preferred wider ones, even though, (in my opinion), they are too big for the form. When you are turning for a clients wishes and not necessarily for perfection or elevation of your craft, one must make some sacrifices , I suppose. Should I hold close the known standards for form and shape or make a few bucks? Hmm? I might add she paid for the redesign also. In the early days, I spent hours and hours getting every piece just so, and could never really sell pieces to break even let alone make a profit. It was a struggle to achieve that balance between production and perfection. I am not quite there yet. This one is 11"tall and 7-1/4" in diameter and is finished with Ren Wax only and the Pedestal and Finial are Ebonized and shot with Lacquer . This just might be a springboard for discussion from anyone wishing to post a reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Love the piece..especially the maple..Im sure im in the minority but not a fan of pedestal/finial work when it comes to wood. Anyho nice job

Ken, to my way of thinking, clients can order utility items but when it comes to artwork they buy what the artist produced, usually because it evoked some sort of emotional response and they felt they had to have it. One sale isn't going to make or break you so keep producing what you feel is right.

Have to agree with you on the size of pedestal and finial. That was my first thought when I looked at the photo. However if a person came to me and told me what they wanted I would do my best to product a form to their liking. After all its their money and a customer has to right to ask for what they want. I suppose if the craftsman determines that he can not produce the requested form that is his or her option as well.

Ken it looks good. Not a fan of thick pedestals and finials but if that what she wants. I may be in the minority but when a customer comes in and tells me what they want I quote them a price. I will also ask for a deposit on special orders like this. If they are willing to pay it fine and if they don't fine. Otherwise as Hayes eluded to I make what I feel I like and what I think will sell.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful finish and super that you were able to execute for what a client wanted. I would like it a bit lighter in the stand and finial, but again, that's a personal thing and when making for a client...well...
    I normally am not crazy about pieces that are symmetrical about the mid point, but this one is nice. Well done.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

If you captured what the customer wanted...it's a 10!! I love the finish!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Ken, you did a nice job on the execution of this piece, but I do agree on the proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Ken, to my way of thinking, clients can order utility items but when it comes to artwork they buy what the artist produced, usually because it evoked some sort of emotional response and they felt they had to have it. One sale isn't going to make or break you so keep producing what you feel is right.
    But, more importantly, I agree with Hayes - so, count us in the gross minority at this point. I have done a few commission pieces, but only with the understanding that it had to be my work, and if the customer was happy with the result they could own it. If they were not happy, then it was mine to keep. I would have a difficult time putting a piece out there with my signature on it, knowing that others might draw some erroneous conclusion from the piece. I could see a situation where someone visiting the home of the customer might see the piece, and simply make a kind comment to the owner, but privately draw an inaccurate conclusion regarding my work.

I can unintentionately mess them up on my own without purposefully doing so!

John, Hayes, Steve and others,
    I will have to agree with the comments about changing the proportions to suit a client, which I rarely do, but this client has bought several pieces from me in the past and I felt It was her prerogative to tell me what she preferred. I just didn't want to miss out on a sale because she can buy from me, or anyone else for that matter. Did it compromise my creativity, maybe, but not to any great extent. I can always make another one of better proportions and show it in the Gallery. I know we all strive for perfection, but how many of us compromise in our every day daily life in both work and personal ways?

A good discussion and one I hadn't seen recently. It is great to be back amongst my Creeker friends. Thanks for all your comments.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Well, I was with those who sided with the customer's preferences having the most weight until I read John's reply. I have to say that I'm now in his camp, especially with regard to the "erroneous conclusions" people could/might make about the turner's abilities. And I agree with Ken, this has been a good discussion, with lots of salient points made.

WM

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Ken, you did a nice job on the execution of this piece, but I do agree on the proportions. But, more importantly, I agree with Hayes - so, count us in the gross minority at this point. I have done a few commission pieces, but only with the understanding that it had to be my work, and if the customer was happy with the result they could own it. If they were not happy, then it was mine to keep. I would have a difficult time putting a piece out there with my signature on it, knowing that others might draw some erroneous conclusion from the piece. I could see a situation where someone visiting the home of the customer might see the piece, and simply make a kind comment to the owner, but privately draw an inaccurate conclusion regarding my work.

I can unintentionately mess them up on my own without purposefully doing so!

On the business end of the spectrum if memory serves me right.. Make 1 person happy they tell 2 people... leave them unsatisfied and they tell 20. Kudos to you and your willingness to accommodate..I dont get this "it kills the artist/art" mumbo jumbo...

Michael,
    I am inclined to agree with you. My daughter is an Artist in NM and makes a living doing it. She shows in several Galleries, but once in a while she will go to the park and do 10-20 min caricatures just for the fun of it for a few bucks and to make new contacts. Marketing takes many shapes.
    Regards, Ken