Thread: Delta Bandsaw 28-203....is it a good saw?

Question Delta Bandsaw 28-203....is it a good saw?

I am consider picking up a bandsaw off CL. It is $500. Does any one have any experience w/ these. He gave me 2 model numbers off of it 28-203 & 52-963. I use a Shopsmith BS now and need more resaw clearance and was about to get a HF BS and spend the money upgrading it but figured this was already upgraded and a superior saw.....I think. So please let me know if you think this is a good deal and why. If I get it I will pick it up around lunch time tomorrow.

Here is the item description from the seller.

Delta 14" wood cutting band saw, Carter ball bearing guides top & bottom, tires like new, factory riser block (resaws 11 1/2"), quality Delta mobile base, dust collection pipe, 3/4 HP Marathon dual voltage motor set for 115v. One speed, not presently configured to cut metal. Complete with 3- 1/2" wide 4tpi blades and 1- 3/4" wide 7tpi blade. Made in U.S.A.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

I have seen the ad and it looks like a clean solid saw. That is one of the best 14" cast saws of the modern era along with the PM 141/3. If it is actually a Carter retrofit it is priced well for the buyer. My only quibble with the saw is the 3/4 HP motor but that can be changed easy enough, the most that saw was sold with was a 1hp motor anyway, but I would want a 1.5 to exploit the capacity of the riser block. Some may argue the price is a little high given it was built LATE in the US built era but the condition and guides make up for that.

I think it is a must buy if you you want a 14" saw mainly because it truely appear plug and play, a new import with Carter Guides and a riser will run you well into the $700 range.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-11-2012 at 8:09 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I agree with Van, the Delta 28-203 is a solid saw. I had the open stand version that I sold when I upgraded to my MiniMax. I wish I could have kept it as a second saw. Mine was a 1/2 hp that would cut through most anything as long as I was patient and didn’t push too hard.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks guys, I am going to look at it in 2 hours. If the condition is right I will be coming home with her. It seems to have all the upgrades I would have done to a new one so I think it is a good price for it.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris