Thread: universal mobile bases

universal mobile bases

I am going to put mobile bases under a bench top drill press (plywood base made to get it to proper height) and a router table. I am considering the Jet 708118 and HTC 2000.

Are there any dislikes of either of these ?

thanks in advance, ron

Personally, I'm a fan of these guys:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...t.aspx#Reviews

I don't think the Jet has any levelers, which makes it a non-starter for me. The HTC is OK. It's certainly better than some of the real junk mobile bases out there (I could point to a different WoodRiver, i.e. Woodcraft, mobile base that's an absolute piece of junk). I haven't heard anything bad about the HTC 2000 at all, actually. I just happen to prefer the one I linked to. Woodcraft happens to be having a sale on the 2000 right now, BTW, so if you have a local one you can pop in and pick one up for $52, I think. I'm not sure about the HTC 3000. I haven't heard any complaints, but I recall having looked at the mechanism once and something about it bothered me. I can't remember what at the moment, but I think there was something there that appeared overly complex. Mobile bases should be sturdy and dirt simple.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-18-2012 at 12:13 AM.

I've got the htc and it is OK, particularly for what it costs.

I had a couple couple of the HTC2000 bases and hated them. I make my own now.

For smaller tools, up to 300 lbs. HF sells a nice set of hardware in the $30 - $35 range, depending on which sale you catch. Supply your own 1-1/4" square lumber for the sides. http://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-...ase-95288.html
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I've used those bases too and they work well enough. Basic problem I've had with all of them is the clearance between the base and the floor. I've been buying Kreg locking casters and building my own replacement bases and like them much better. If you have a nice smooth floor and no need to ever roll the equipment out into the driveway, then the HF models are a good bargain...provided you are setup to cut the wooden pieces. I've actually used construction grade lumber for the base that was under my Ridgid lunchbox planer and it worked out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    For smaller tools, up to 300 lbs. HF sells a nice set of hardware in the $30 - $35 range, depending on which sale you catch. Supply your own 1-1/4" square lumber for the sides.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-mobile-base-95288.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Personally, I'm a fan of these guys:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...t.aspx#Reviews

I don't think the Jet has any levelers, which makes it a non-starter for me. The HTC is OK. It's certainly better than some of the real junk mobile bases out there (I could point to a different WoodRiver, i.e. Woodcraft, mobile base that's an absolute piece of junk). I haven't heard anything bad about the HTC 2000 at all, actually. I just happen to prefer the one I linked to. Woodcraft happens to be having a sale on the 2000 right now, BTW, so if you have a local one you can pop in and pick one up for $52, I think. I'm not sure about the HTC 3000. I haven't heard any complaints, but I recall having looked at the mechanism once and something about it bothered me. I can't remember what at the moment, but I think there was something there that appeared overly complex. Mobile bases should be sturdy and dirt simple.
    +1 on the wood river base. double 3/4" ply would make it rock solid. i have an htc on my 18" jet BS and it's simply awful. the cam activators are a poor design and the metal is too light weight. one day, i'l get the wood river base and kick the htc to the curb.

I have 2 of the HTC and I would agree with most the other comments that they are OK. I have one on my bandsaw (Rikon 14") and it has never seemed as stable as I would like. The other is on a Jet OSS and works better, maybe it's the weight or the height of the tool.

-Gary

Got a Shop Fox under the TS, a HF under the planer, and another that I can't name under the BS. All work well. The HF base was the least expensive.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have two of the HTC2000's and am not a huge fan. They are reasonably solid when down (reasonably but not entirely) and roll ok... but.. they tip to far "back" when lifted for my comfort for taller machines and they drop with a THUMP that makes me grit my teeth every time. I would agree with Gary that the lower/wider the profile of the tool the happier you'll be with them.

I have them on two lighter tools at the moment and will likely replace them at some point. The HTC 3000 isn't bad, it has a different levering mechanism/ and is somewhat gentler and doesn't have the same teeth gritting "what am I throwing out of alignment" thump when you let it down. I found the mechanism to be slightly more "robustly" designed than the 2000.

For my BS, have the carrymaster casters on a shop made low profile base (slightly widens the based, but doesn't raise the bs substantially - I stole the idea from someone on LJ's) it locks down solid, rolls well and just plain works well. More $$$ though.

I have the above mentioned HF mobile bases under my band saw, and drill press. My floor is pretty decent, so the very short distance between the base and the floor as it is rolling isn't a problem, and it does help with stability. I could see if you have a miserable busted up floor you'd hate them. In that case, the mobile base isn't your problem...

One thing I dislike about these bases is the non standard lumber dimension of 1.25" square, which means you need to dimension stock to work with it instead of just taking 1.5" square stock and being done with it...

I am admittedly having trouble seeing how a bench top drill press is going to work on a mobile base. Are you planning on building a cabinet to go between the two, or maybe in a wheel chair where you need it lower to the ground?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have the Delta version of the base John shows above from Woodcraft and its good but the only drawback is their hard to turn. They are great if you pull and push them out straight from the wall but if you pull them out and turn them you need some room to do it.

I made a cabinet with locking 2.5 inches casters on it for my drill press. Easy to move around.
    Don

David, Yes, I am planning on building a 22" square box 27" high that should get me to the height I want. I am in hopes that it won't be tippy at all as I have a smooth floor. I thought this mobile base would make it less likely to tip than castors, probably almost the same cost as castors. The current base is 10X16 and it is about 38"high. Does this make sense ?

...ron