Thread: Need help designing a sliding/swinging panel

Need help designing a sliding/swinging panel

I'm looking to build a jewelry box with a panel to hang necklaces on, I want the panel to slide back into the box cavity, but when extended all the way out it would clear the front of the box and then swing, so both sides of the panel could be accessed. Man that might be a run on sentence! Sorry about that and I hope I explained clearly enough.

I made an entertainment center once that had the sliding recessing doors, I want it sort of like those, but to swing either direction when pulled straight out of the cabinet. I want to do it all wood, no tracks of any metal or plastic. I've seen them but not up close and trying to get past a few obstacles (my mind) in figuring out how they are done. Any links or ideas would be much appreciated.

Have you thought about drawing it out? If you want, I could help you out with a quick SketchUp model. Send me a PM with some dimensions of your box and your e-mail address and I'll see what I can do for you. I already have an idea in mind for you but without knowing how the box is built or the dimensions, I don't know if it would suit.

I'm thinking this would work. Simple design - not too tough to make.

SketchUp004.png

I show 2 panels. The rear panel, (far left), which stays in the cabinet, is 2" wide and 20 1/8" tall, 1/2" thick. On the top and bottom, there is a 1/4" thick x 2" long x 1 1/4" wide cap (it sticks out 3/8" on either side of the panel) that would ride (slide) in a "T" slot.

The front panel is 20" tall, 10" wide and 1/2" thick. The two panels are joined by a butt hinge on top and bottom where I show the mortises.

A piece of molding on the front of the case could act as a stop to keep the rear panel in the case. The amount of overlap the hinge leaves use affects how far out of the case the front panel would reach.

You could do a mock-up with scrap to see if these dimensions would rack or not. Wax would be your friend in the T-slot.

Todd

Rob,
    I played around with Todd's idea. I think if scaled to fit what you want it would work great.
    See attached pic and short motion video.
    I think this could be a fun project.
    PS
    You might have to copy these links into your browser.
    http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...PanelMovie.mp4
    http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...slidePanel.jpg

Dave M

slidePanel.jpg

Very smart solution Dave and can be all made out of wood. Nice.