Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up with my Garage/Shop?

I agree with Rod. I would look for a poor or loose connection in the wiring chain. The voltage dip you saw on your meter was probably far greater. It happened too fast for the meter to show. I believe a hot lamp is hard to re-ignite, and needs some cooling time. That's why the light comes back on after the door is opened or closed.

John

It seems with approximately 8-10 seconds to raise the door, the meter should be able to indicate a considerable drop in line voltage if there was a weak connection. While activating the garage door opener, I checked current draw at the switched receptacle which turns off power to both garage door opener and Mercury light. I believe a 2 volt drop would be considered normal when turning on a 1/2-3/4 hp. motor to raise a heavy composite 16' wide door.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    I agree with Rod. I would look for a poor or loose connection in the wiring chain. The voltage dip you saw on your meter was probably far greater. It happened too fast for the meter to show. I believe a hot lamp is hard to re-ignite, and needs some cooling time. That's why the light comes back on after the door is opened or closed.

John

Hey guys... While it may well be the power draw on the opener, it may also be from the vibration caused while the door is opening or closing bringing to life another (?wiring?) issue.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    It seems with approximately 8-10 seconds to raise the door, the meter should be able to indicate a considerable drop in line voltage if there was a weak connection. While activating the garage door opener, I checked current draw at the switched receptacle which turns off power to both garage door opener and Mercury light. I believe a 2 volt drop would be considered normal when turning on a 1/2-3/4 hp. motor to raise a heavy composite 16' wide door.

Mac
    Mac, the issue is the instantaneous voltage dip during motor starting, not during motor running.

The voltage dip during starting could be 20 to 30 volts.............Regards, Rod.

To brings things up to date, we had a thaw on Monday of this week so I was able to get on the roof with a fresh bulb to do some basic troubleshooting. I determined the old bulb was tight although removed it to install a new bulb since I was already up there and any new snow would keep me off the roof for a while. I then used a long piece of dowel to place a large red plastic cup over the light sensor to activate the light. After a couple minutes the light came on and as I happen to take my garage door opener remote up on the roof with me, I triggered the door opener several times with no resulting shutting off or even flickering of the light as before.

Since Monday and replacement of the bulb, the light has not been affected by using either the garage door opener or my shop vac at night. Usually a surefire method to trigger the light to shut off is by running my drill press with all my shop lights on although In running my 1/2 hp drill press press tonight, the light was unaffected, not even a flicker.

One thing I noticed, even though the new light bulb is the same specification, it's noticeably brighter than the old one.

Thanks to all for suggestions, etc
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 01-27-2012 at 2:11 PM.

Just as a followup; 3 weeks today and no signs whatsoever of light flickering or shutting off.
    It appears the bulb was the culprit.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    To brings things up to date, we had a thaw on Monday of this week so I was able to get on the roof with a fresh bulb to do some basic troubleshooting. I determined the old bulb was tight although removed it to install a new bulb since I was already up there and any new snow would keep me off the roof for a while. I then used a long piece of dowel to place a large red plastic cup over the light sensor to activate the light. After a couple minutes the light came on and as I happen to take my garage door opener remote up on the roof with me, I triggered the door opener several times with no resulting shutting off or even flickering of the light as before.

Since Monday and replacement of the bulb, the light has not been affected by using either the garage door opener or my shop vac at night. Usually a surefire method to trigger the light to shut off is by running my drill press with all my shop lights on although In running my 1/2 hp drill press press tonight, the light was unaffected, not even a flicker.

One thing I noticed, even though the new light bulb is the same specification, it's noticeably brighter than the old one.

Thanks to all for suggestions, etc
    Mac