Thread: Old template guides - keep or toss

Old template guides - keep or toss

So I was cleaning off one of my shelving units (cleaning??!?!) and ran across this fixture I used to route the dog holes in my bench. I cant think of a reason to save it, so I pose the question to this group (high pack rat tendencies....)

Keep or save??

photo.JPG

My wife would say if you haven't worn it in a year... toss it. I waould usually say keep it, but that is one I would probably toss. I often toss or re-purpose templates even if I think I will use them since it tends to limit my creativity. I have in the past modified designs because I had a template made that was ALMOST what I needed, just seemed like too much time to remake it for a slightly different radius etc. Usually when I do that I wish I had spent the extra time while making it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You can not keep every scrap of wood or every template. You know that it you toss it you will need it next week. If you keep it you will never need it.

I am getting better at tossing them but usually take a picture so that I can remember exactly how I made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    You can not keep every scrap of wood or every template. You know that it you toss it you will need it next week. If you keep it you will never need it.

I am getting better at tossing them but usually take a picture so that I can remember exactly how I made it.

Taking a photo is a great idea!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My old shop was big enough that I could hang them all from the rafters and it was not a problem. When I moved I had to burn about a hundred fixtures, and to tell the truth I could not remember what I made half of them for. I had that shop for twenty years.

I kept a couple dozen that get used on common jobs or that took a long time to develop, and the rest went into a sad fire.

Larry

I couldnt dream up a reason to keep this one - its gone. I keep relatively few fixtures/guides - just a couple I use over and over. (most of them are pretty poorly made anyway - the fastest way I know to put them together at the time, so far from a work of art)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    So I was cleaning off one of my shelving units (cleaning??!?!) and ran across this fixture I used to route the dog holes in my bench. I cant think of a reason to save it, so I pose the question to this group (high pack rat tendencies....)

Keep or save??

"Keep or Save" your not giving us much of a choice!
    Richard

Maybe someone would be willing to pay shipping to use it for themselves? Instead of throwing it away.

Wil

If it is a one time type jig that I have made to do, I will dump it when the project is completed. I do keep templates that I think I may make the item again.
    I have made things for the grand kids and have made templates for them and do keep those, they will have a different curve or things like that. Once I have come up with the design I don't want to have to do it all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil Limanen View Post
    Maybe someone would be willing to pay shipping to use it for themselves? Instead of throwing it away.

Wil
    Never thought of that! Hmmm.... I think it could still be dug out of the trash if anyone is interested. Uses a straight template router bit to cut bench dog slots ( 5 degree angle I believe ). It did work great.

Anyone want?