Thread: Daughters Theme Bed Complete............

Daughters Theme Bed Complete............

Almost. I have been looking for a good project lately and finally found one making a theme bed for my 4 year old daughter. We searched the internet together and found several good ideas for building miniture houses. She was really in love with a Tudor style house that we saw so I took that as marching orders and started.

This is the basic platform that we attached to the wall and were supporting it with 2x4s to make sure we had the height set correctly.

IMG_0279.jpg

Bay window was the next on the construction list.
    IMG_0280.jpg

This the the bay window and door frame installed. The front of the house is made from 3/4" MDO and the sides are 1/2" MDO. The kids also helped me install some rope lights and a switch inside.
    IMG_0287.jpg

Roof complete and installed. It took me quite a while to complete this piece. The major face of the roof is set back at 12 degrees. We did a few test fits before making the dormers. Good thing too, I ended up cutting down the size of the roof 2x.
    IMG_0290.jpg

Mostly complete! I struggled with the roof I did not want to just paint on the shingles. The shingles ended up being made from tempered hardboard. They were cut into individual shingles and fit. That was a lot more work than I expected! Lots and lots of trips up and down the stairs. The trim is all made from poplar. It was resawn to 1/4" and painted before being installed.

DSC_5074.jpg

Here is a view from the other side. I am very happy with how it turned out. This is the first project that I "winged it". Working from a picture was quite a change. Usually I like to draw up a set of plans and workout the details. Best of all the kids have been having a ball playing in the house. I still have a few things I'd like to do to complete the house: First, clean up the electrical wiring. Second, make a book case that looks like a chimney for the left hand side of the house.

DSC_5075.jpg

However.......... I have 2 children. So my 7 year old and I have started working on a concept for his bed. Right now were thinking something like an aircraft carrier.

I'd love to see any theme beds that fellow "creekers" have built. Thanks for looking at mine.

That is SO totally cool!! You're the best dad on the block - I am certain! Way to go!

That is fantastic your a great father and have one blessed daughter
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Too cool... I bet you made your daughter real proud.
    Looking forward to seeing the aircraft carrier bed.

That is sooooooo cute.... what a wonderful project!!!

Wow...that's awesome! Gee...I had a bed like that in college, but it only had a small couch under it. No bay windows or other architectural treatments. LOL (I was living in what was once a small closet)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the compliments. The kids have really been getting some good milage from the playhouse. "Your the best Daddy ever" makes all the work more than worth it.

The bed also reminds me of college Jim. This was the same loft bed that I used in college (more than a few years ago). I think that Dad originally built the frame as a part of a trundle bed for my brother sometime around 1985. Feels good to "pass it on".

I had submitted this project to the Wood Whisperer about 6 months ago. Just got word i was selected to be on their website. So cool!

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/view...ers-theme-bed/

Congratulations!